LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I'm stumped.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I'm stumped.

Alright. So off the bat I'll tell you the car is throwing codes 46 and 65. I also did a fuel pressure test and it stayed around 40 psi. Here is what the car is doing:
it is idling around 500 rpms and it shakes at idle. It surges, bucks, and backfires under acceleration. Once it gets above 2000 rpms it smooths out a little but the problem is still there. Under heavy acceleration the car continues to climb to the redline but it doesn't pull hard. It doesn't break up in the higher rpms, it just doesn't pull as hard as it should. It smells like fuel, its obviously running rich because it smells like gas inside and out.
I pulled the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator a few times. The other day some fuel dripped out, but today there was just a loud hissing sound and the idle came up. No fuel coming out today.
So what do you guys think? I feel like it might be the optispark, but its not throwing an opti related code. The fuel pressure regulator is my next bet, but wouldn't fuel come out all the time, not just after running for awhile?
*EDIT* Also the spark plug wires are new, I've been running them for a couple weeks and this problem just started getting really bad. I checked them all and they are all fine.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Check the plugs see if any are fouled out from running rich

mine fouled one out once and it would stumble under acceleration then smooth out.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Teching In

You check your o2s and the condition of your Cat? How about the coil? when i took mine out it was all gunked up cleaned it off and the car ran smoother
Old 04-19-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car has no cats, its an offroad y pipe. I can check the plugs and sensors, but its been running bad for about a week now (really rich with the symptoms above) and only until today did it throw a code. I know code 65 is right o2 sensor rich exhaust indicated. So I guess it could be a bad sensor as well.
I'll check the sensor and spark plugs, but I am curious as to why it would run so rich.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Prolly shouldve read your sig lol, well if the o2s adjust ur afm mine wreaked of gas till i changed em

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm stumped.