LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how to install ignition switch kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to install ignition switch kit

alright so ive been having trouble with my ignition switch lately, it turns but acts like it doesnt enguage anything, spins free threw its range of motion. so i found that there is a metal line running on the drivers side/bottom of the steering column and if i pull on it twards me and turn the ignition it will start up just like normal and run just fine. So i got what i think should fix it; Dorman p/n 83211 "ignition switch kit"

now my question is how do i put this in? do i just follow shbox's ignition switch guide, tear the whole column apart, and it will get me there or is there another way to do this? If i have to follow shbox's guide and tear it all apart im prolly gona put a new ignition switch in it while im at it.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

You don't tear the column apart. You just lower it down. It's a royal pain in the *** to do because there is very little room to work. When you get the old one out you'll see where the metal sliders have worn way down in their tracks and have lost contact which is why you are having problems.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

My guide says remove the column or don't remove the column. Your choice.

Now, if when you turn the key, it is not moving the rod, then the switch is not your problem (or not your only problem). It is either the key cylinder or the sector that translates the key movement to the rod. That part is in the upper part of the column and will require some upper column disassembly.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright thank you guys, so i should just use your guide shbox? im going to attempt it sometime this week lol
Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It depends on what you determine is wrong. My guide is there if you need or want to use it.

Quick Reply: how to install ignition switch kit