LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Never raced on a track before, what should I expect.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember.......................................... ......

You live your life a quarter mile at a time!

LOl
Winning is winning
have fun
Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

before you run go walk the shut down and get a good look at the turn outs were they are located. also when you make the turn do not cross the other lane unless the other car is in front of you. remember just because you stoped fine does not mean the other guy is not having problems. i have seen some nice cars wadded up because they tried to stop for the first turn out instead of going to the end.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^X2 very important for safety and if there is a track marshal down there they'll remind you to wait for the slower car on inside lane to leave the track first.

If you don't have a shift light, you might consider one. It was one of the best things I bought for drag racing, no more trying to drive and watch the tach needle for the right rpm. I just wait for the light and pull the next gear, works great and allows more concentration for other things.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ Great point on the shift light, they are a must have for an m6 at the track.

And the car has a Harlan shift light .
Old 05-09-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember if you gernade parts the crowd will love it.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Remember if you gernade parts the crowd will love it.

It's all about the fans. You make a good run and "OOOOO"
Screw up bad like a ricer rear wheel stage and you get laughed off the track"
Blow something up and you become a Legend.

But don't become a legend your first time out.

On a serious note. Follow all the advice above, especially,

before you run go walk the shut down and get a good look at the turn outs were they are located. also when you make the turn do not cross the other lane unless the other car is in front of you. remember just because you stoped fine does not mean the other guy is not having problems. i have seen some nice cars wadded up because they tried to stop for the first turn out instead of going to the end.
&

Stay calm and remember that it is all about you. You want to make sure you have a good feel for your car, if something doesn’t feel right shut it down and get back in line. It is better to take a slow 30 sec ¼ mile time then would be to take 30 minutes to clean your car off the track. A really good mind set to have is that you’re not trying to beat the car next to you but the clock instead. I’ve seen to many people freak out because the car next to them are beating them and try to rap out there engine to get in front or get too cocky because they are beating the car next to them and miss a gear. I used to imagine that I was the only one there and no one else was around. Just my car, the tree and me, cause you know you always run better when no one is looking.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the great advice everyone, and Gregg thanks for stopping in, you know the car better than anyone so anything I can learn from you I'll take it to heart.

I really excited to go to the track for my first time, I'll go as soon as gates open that way I can make a few runs before the crowd gets there.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HarleyZ28
Thanks for the great advice everyone, and Gregg thanks for stopping in, you know the car better than anyone so anything I can learn from you I'll take it to heart.

I really excited to go to the track for my first time, I'll go as soon as gates open that way I can make a few runs before the crowd gets there.
Yeah, I had been running at the organized street races for months every weekend, making multiple passes, practicing launches, etc etc and I still had troubles my first time at the track. At the street races, we dont have a light (obviously) we just drop arms. The first time you pull up to the lights, you will freak out and either jump the light (what I did my first time), have a slow *** reaction time, or launch entirely too hard and blow the tires off (also did that). Just be prepared to mess up. Its not hard, but it makes you nervous when 100 strangers are staring at you, hoping you **** up. Best of luck and have a great time man.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first time I was running my 79 T/A. I did a dry burnout and backed up. I only backed my rear tires over the startin line so I was sticking out. It was hard to see and was at night.

Anyway the track guy came up laughing told me I couldn't have a head start on the 68 GTO I was lined up against. Yes the announcer even had some fun at my expense. This was at Texas Motorplex.

I ran a 14.3 @ 99MPH and beat the GTO in the left lane. Not bad for a 403 olds on a 100 degree July night in Texas

Quick Reply: Never raced on a track before, what should I expect.