LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 LT1 mod questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 93 LT1 mod questions.

I've got a wrecked 93 T/A donor car that I want to pull the LT1 out of and put in my 80 T/A. The motor has 99k miles on it and is stock. The 80 all ready has 2.5 true duals and I'll have to make a intake system for it but will all of this be ok on the stock tuning? Also what simple mods could I do during the swap. I don't want anything radical I just want something that'll get decent gas mileage and still make good power. This is just something to cruise around in but I don't want to be embarassed to floor it like I am with the 400 thats in it. Also what are the differences between the 93 LT1s and the 97s. Other than speed density and the exhaust systems.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

93-94 had the non-vented Opti, 95-97 had vented, 96-97 also had crank position sensors. The differing optis also mean different cam drive, timing cover, etc.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I've got a wrecked 93 T/A donor car that I want to pull the LT1 out of and put in my 80 T/A. The motor has 99k miles on it and is stock. The 80 all ready has 2.5 true duals and I'll have to make a intake system for it but will all of this be ok on the stock tuning? Also what simple mods could I do during the swap. I don't want anything radical I just want something that'll get decent gas mileage and still make good power. This is just something to cruise around in but I don't want to be embarassed to floor it like I am with the 400 thats in it. Also what are the differences between the 93 LT1s and the 97s. Other than speed density and the exhaust systems.
80' TA....nice, does it have a screaming chicken?! First thing to upgrade on a performance oriented LT1 build is valve springs...stock ones suck and give valve float @5700RPM+ Quality 1.6 roller rockers are a worthwhile upgrade as well....springs+ RR= +20RWHP. Headers are a big plus too of course.

If you want even more HP (20-30RWHP), then get a small cam, but realize PCM tuning is required and it will lower your mileage more than rockers/springs alone.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well anything will get better mileage than the 400 and yea its got the bird but it needs painted lol. This car has sat alot in past few years and I've got 2 th350s and a good LT1 just sitting there so I figured why not. I'm not sure how I'm going to do the wiring since it doesn't have a port on the inside. Since its a chip car I'm assuming maybe I won't need it? It'll get longtubes just for the simplicity of hooking the exhaust back up since the 400 has them. 300hp is alot more than this thing has ever known lol It started out life as a 301 car, then 180hp 400, and now its gonna get the LT1 if I can manage to pull it off. That wiring is kind of scareing me and I don't want to throw 800 bucks at a painful wiring setup.

Quick Reply: 93 LT1 mod questions.