LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

a few questions about a cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few questions about a cam swap

hey guys i have a 94 formula lt1 and have a few questions. ive given thought to a cam swap, the motor has 90k and is running 6# of boost from a procharger. what would be a good cam? or should i leave the stock one. also do i need to pull the motor to do the swap and should i swap valve springs?

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 09-07-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

so much to consider with this, stock bottom end youll be playinng with fire running boost and wanting to add more, also im sure a custom grind from lloyd elliot or ai would be more focused on boost, not sure the gains with stock top end though, also new springs are a must lt1 stock springs are weak lt4 hotcam springs arent much better either, while your at it id do 1.6 rr though.

cam swap can be done in car also, ive done it and followed shbox guide on his website, id check it out hardest part is oil pan removal to take timing cover off. hope this helps im sure others will chime in as well with more info or correct me in areas im wrong

Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kinda power u puttin down now? Stock with 6#? Quarter mile and speed please? Your goals and usage are? Info please?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

not sure on numbers yet. i just got the car running right. im just kicking around ideas for a winter project

Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd venture to say there are other things on the car you could work on for a winter project and get more bang for your buck than you would from a cam swap.
If the motor is healthy and properly tuned, you should be making enough power already to put you in the mid 11's, PROVIDED the rest of the car is set up for it.
What does it have for suspension, gearing, trans, TC? Any ET goals, or just a fun driver that sounds badass?
I'd keep the stock cam and keep the revs below 6000 until it's time for a rebuild. If you cam it, accept the fact that you'll shorten its life.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

okay thanks for the advice. yeah im really just building a bad *** weekend car. prev. owner splurged on hotchkiss website so suspension is good lol. im probably going to gear it and put in a higher stahl converter. i didnt know if there were cams out there that would help get power out of the boost

Quick Reply: a few questions about a cam swap