LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

396lt1 need to beat bolt ons ls1

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you 1320! I guess this is my fault for not specifiying the shortblock, guess i figured everyone would know what i meant. I know how the cost racks up after throwing all the supporting elements into the mix. Either way I'm going to be starting to do my build here in the next 2 to 3 weeks and i'm gonna keep a paper trail to show Actual cost of just the engine build. And yes I will be buying from ebay as much as possible, my 383 crank was a forged scat from ebay 4-5 years ago and have no hesitations on buying another one from them. I don't expect to push over 450 rwhp with the le setup so i'll push my trans and rear end til they can't take it and be bargain shopping for upgrades in the mean time.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't know if you are running a M6 or A4.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...S-ONLY%22.html

Rated up to 600ft lbs.

600 bucks.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Teching In

it's an A4 with just over 5k on the rebuild
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Teching In

would love to do the m6 but that'll be down the road a ways if ever....
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Youre over-thinking this. If your wife is going to stay bolt ons only, you only need heads and cam to walk her. Check out lloyd elliot's website and he can set you up with a good setup.

A stroker and turbo is overkill and if done right, it will be very expensive.

BTW, i really doubt a full exhaust and tuned ls1 is pushing over 370rwhp.
Especially an auto.

Headers, Catback and a tune has never and will never put down 375rwhp from an auto LS1.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

General consensuses is that a 4L60E is only stock good for 360ft lbs. A 396ci will destroy a stock a 4L60E.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 AM
Staging Lane

A LQ9 with ls3 heads and a fast intake with tune will put down 430 to 450 all day long! Not only that but you have a whole array of LS parts to choose from. Like stated above its either A Loyed Elliot heads and cam package that will get you just north of 400 with bolt ons or lq9. Question is do you want to stay LT or go LS? The LQ swap will run you about $600 for the shortblock then factor in heads and intake, you could get out for around $3000. But like I said its a 450hp monster than can be boosted with moderation at any time.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

fwiw the lq9/lq4's do not make good high revving motors anything over 6000 and your pushing it.......the truck pistons are heavy and weak around the wrist pin...ive seen quite a few H/C lq motors with broken pistons and rods
Old 02-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

i just skimmed some of the first page, but a h/c LT1 can make well over 400 at the wheels. why are we building a stroker motor to outrun a bolton ls1?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec
i just skimmed some of the first page, but a h/c LT1 can make well over 400 at the wheels. why are we building a stroker motor to outrun a bolton ls1?
think i tried mentioning that already wayyyyyyyyy back on page 1 lol
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Teching In

yeah i toyed with the idea of doing the lq tex til i started shopping around and they're upwards of 1300 for a high miled motor around here, so I looked into doing the 5.3 cause those are real cheap, but then i run into swapping k member and harness headaches at the least, ( love the idea of the lq torque btw) vtec and quik i'm not just wanting to build a stroker to beat one bolted ls, I spun a bearing and need to do a rebuild anyway, it was my wife buying a beautiful 99 ws6 with the bolt ons that just gave me the kick in the pants to go big lol. I'm glad you mentioned that about the lq's though I didn't know that about their pistons. And yeah since you and slow brought up the lloyd elliots i've seriously pushed my thoughts towards a solid short block build and just going h/c/i and lt's with a tune, it's just hard not to spend the extra coing and get the stroker crank I've also played around with the idea of a stout bottom end and boosting it even though I think turbo's should stay with the imports lol. But to be completely honest i'm torn and don't know which way I wanna go, boost is on the back burner cause I don't know of any good tuners in iowa to dyno tune, where as i hear pcm for less has good reviews for mail order.
....And I don't really have a buget persay but I do have some body work and paint to do too, so i'd like to stick to the 3 to 4k range for the power plant. I guess my goal for this build would be to do le3 h/c/i lt's (I already have 4.10s) and run it til the trans or rear goes and upgrade those as they do. And I also planned on the front end swap as I LOOOVE the superhawk hood........but realistically i'm probably gonna end up with just a solid rebuilt bottom end with a le2 setup, lt's, tune and dr's simply cause i'm itching to have it done for summer .......question???? i've heard nothing but good from both lloyd and advanced.....what was it that made you go with ai quik? j/c
Old 02-06-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by minrider
yeah i toyed with the idea of doing the lq tex til i started shopping around and they're upwards of 1300 for a high miled motor around here, so I looked into doing the 5.3 cause those are real cheap, but then i run into swapping k member and harness headaches at the least, ( love the idea of the lq torque btw) vtec and quik i'm not just wanting to build a stroker to beat one bolted ls, I spun a bearing and need to do a rebuild anyway, it was my wife buying a beautiful 99 ws6 with the bolt ons that just gave me the kick in the pants to go big lol. I'm glad you mentioned that about the lq's though I didn't know that about their pistons. And yeah since you and slow brought up the lloyd elliots i've seriously pushed my thoughts towards a solid short block build and just going h/c/i and lt's with a tune, it's just hard not to spend the extra coing and get the stroker crank I've also played around with the idea of a stout bottom end and boosting it even though I think turbo's should stay with the imports lol. But to be completely honest i'm torn and don't know which way I wanna go, boost is on the back burner cause I don't know of any good tuners in iowa to dyno tune, where as i hear pcm for less has good reviews for mail order.
....And I don't really have a buget persay but I do have some body work and paint to do too, so i'd like to stick to the 3 to 4k range for the power plant. I guess my goal for this build would be to do le3 h/c/i lt's (I already have 4.10s) and run it til the trans or rear goes and upgrade those as they do. And I also planned on the front end swap as I LOOOVE the superhawk hood........but realistically i'm probably gonna end up with just a solid rebuilt bottom end with a le2 setup, lt's, tune and dr's simply cause i'm itching to have it done for summer .......question???? i've heard nothing but good from both lloyd and advanced.....what was it that made you go with ai quik? j/c
There are several reasons that I'm sure you could search and see for yourself. Hand-porting versus the precision of CNC - there's really no comparison. Same goes with the performance.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

I also agree with quick, if you go LQ then get some forged connecting rods and pistons. Sounds like your going the LT route with AI which is always a good way to make power. If I was you I'd have AI match your heads to a ground cam from them for real power!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can either rebuild the bottom end put on Heads and Cam on it and walk all over LS1s. Or
Drop in some forged pistons/rods and throw some nitrous at it.

Stock shortblock is known to take 150 easy.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
Start with the basics, bolt-ons and supporting mods, have your heads ported(I don't recommend doing it yourself), and then get a custom cam from a reputable vendor.

If you need a big stroker to beat a bolt-on LS1 your car needs to be burned!

Thank you…

My 96Z was crushing bolt-on/header Ls1s on a refreshed heads, rings, bearings, cammed up with the Comp mid-range cam, headers and a tune.

It wasn't even close… at least a car and a half in the 1/8th.

Needless to say, the 396 hasn't helped them much at all. Laid waste to a Cammed/Header 5th gen SS not long ago and THAT was with a slush box for a tranny.

Quick Reply: 396lt1 need to beat bolt ons ls1