LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How do you feel about the LPE 211/219 cam for my daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you feel about the LPE 211/219 cam for my daily driver?

Hi guys, my car is a 1992 Corvette, stock right now but will have coated Exotic Muscle longtubes on it soon. I drive this car 20k miles a year so I don't want some huge cam in it, but I would like a sort of sleeper cam.

I love torque and don't really want to rev the engine higher than stock. From what I've read on the cam thread the LPE 211/219 is a good cam for a stock heads LT1. Anyone have any experience with this cam?

I'm not looking to make the most power, I'm just looking for a little more

TIA,

Vinnie
Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

My friend ran one with a set of LT1 ported heads and it worked well. It, like any other cam, will not yeild as much power as it would with ported heads but should work well in a stock LT1

I would change the valve springs with any cam upgrade
Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

For a mild cam it is perfect. I only have experience with it with ported heads. Ran it in my car for over 80,000 miles with no problems. It peaked at 5800rpm, put down 370rwhp and 350rwtq with accommodating mods. Ran 12.09 @ 115.5 for a best with a 1.70 60' in a 3750lb car. Got 27ish/22ish MPG. I think you'll be real happy with it for what you're looking for.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Ran it in my car for over 80,000 miles with no problems.

Proof enough in that statement.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It is one of the most proven mild cams BUT I would be interested in something with a little tighter LSA. IMO you could get a little more torque sooner by using a more current understanding of how the injection reacts to proper cam selection.

Years ago pretty much everybody though injection needed ridiculously wide LSA but that isn't true ans the wide LSAs still common on shelf cams hurts torque.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

not to make this a difficult choice or anything but the crane 227 would fit his ideas pretty well also wouldnt it?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 211/219 is a great cam hands down !!!!! Comp cams grinds that cam for LPE and I am sure it can be ordered in a fee different lobe seperations aswell.... I used that camshaft back in the early 90s on a few of my cars 89-92 f bodies ... I also installed the LPE ported stock heads w/ 2.00 1.56 valves, 1.6 rockers, 211/219, 52mm,SLP headers,LPE cai,LPE custom chip and SLP 2600 STALL into a 37 mile 93 Z28 on M&H racemasters the car ran 12.20s with a 1.8 60' at sea level so the stuff works! I would have put 3.73s in there but the owner wanted to keep his mileage
seriously considering installing this cam in my TA but adding 1.7 rockers and fully ported heads, 6speed and 3.73s
This cam drives like STOCK no surging or anything... in fact member aba383 Alan had a 383 bird 211/219 built by LPE and was running 11.7 low duration high lift works well......
Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just pulled a 210/220 114lsa comp cam out of a LT1 Fbody with 3.73 gears. I would go a little bit bigger if it was me and I was spending the money and time to do a cam swap but I will admit the cam ran strong and had good power all over the power band. It runs smooth and has a very nice tone at WOT. But once again if it was my car I would go just a little bigger. 218/228 maybe?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually ran this cam in a 91 GTA I had way back. It was a very nice DD cam but I would also opt for a little bigger if I could do it over. But again it's a very nice DD street cam.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Sounds like this is a very good cam for my purposes, the fact that it drives like stock is VERY important to me. I see some of you are getting 370whp out of it with ported heads, this is exactly my goal! I don't care about having lope, I actually think it would be nice to have a sleeper cam.

Thank you for the help, if anyone has any more experience with this cam please let me know!

Originally Posted by guppymech
Vinnie did you get the Vette repaired okay after the accident?
Yup got it all fixed, the person-who-hit-me's insurance paid for all $6500 of the repairs Looks better than before. I paid $6500 for the car so i'm very lucky it didn't get totaled.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 92Vette
Thanks for all the responses everyone! Sounds like this is a very good cam for my purposes, the fact that it drives like stock is VERY important to me. I see some of you are getting 370whp out of it with ported heads, this is exactly my goal! I don't care about having lope, I actually think it would be nice to have a sleeper cam.

Thank you for the help, if anyone has any more experience with this cam please let me know!

Yup got it all fixed, the person-who-hit-me's insurance paid for all $6500 of the repairs Looks better than before. I paid $6500 for the car so i'm very lucky it didn't get totaled.
Yes but if you also look a lot of people also said to go a little bit bigger if it was them. Even a LT4 hotcam kit sounds very close to stock and will still drive like stock with more mid and upper range power. IMOP. I would look around a little bit and consider at least going up to something like a 214/224 on a 113 lsa or something in that range. You will not notice any loss and gain a few more horses.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How does the LPE 211/219 compare to the Crane 227 cam?
Old 05-23-2017, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
Much smaller cam.

All things considered, if I had a near stock LT1.....I'd go with the 227 cam. It's a no brainer.

KW
Old 05-23-2017, 05:06 PM
Village Troll

Are emissions a concern? Not sure what year your car is.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Are emissions a concern? Not sure what year your car is.
Emissions are a concern. New York has adopted California emissions standards which I would like to pass.

Now, for better airflow this car will be using the LS1 SLP cold air induction, and if my air box will fit, using the ram air provided by an aftermarket LS1 WS6 styled hood fit to my LT1. I will use my stock intake manifold but I am not sure what more needs to be done with my factory cylinder heads short of a valve train upgrade. I was told in the past to avoid any porting on the heads to maintain daily driveability. So I suppose I must leave them alone!

I am leaning towards going with the Crane 227 cam, something that will idle close enough to stock without loping and not destroy my rated fuel mileage while giving me good torque from the low-end to the mid-range, I won't utilize the higher-range for my power production.

I guess I am stuck with my shorty headers for the sake of emissions compliance and hooking up California catalytic converters, however I am not sure what I can do with the exhaust piping between those catalytic converters and my Magnaflow catback system which I want to keep. I am not sure if I need to relieve the backpressure and increase scavenging to balance out the performance from this set-up, to use an x-pipe, h-pipe, or to go with a hybrid true duel converging to the cat-back.

Then I am sure a good professional dynotuning will finish off the potential of my set-up.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Emissions are a concern. New York has adopted California emissions standards which I would like to pass.

Now, for better airflow this car will be using the LS1 SLP cold air induction, and if my air box will fit, using the ram air provided by an aftermarket LS1 WS6 styled hood fit to my LT1. I will use my stock intake manifold but I am not sure what more needs to be done with my factory cylinder heads short of a valve train upgrade. I was told in the past to avoid any porting on the heads to maintain daily driveability. So I suppose I must leave them alone!

I am leaning towards going with the Crane 227 cam, something that will idle close enough to stock without loping and not destroy my rated fuel mileage while giving me good torque from the low-end to the mid-range, I won't utilize the higher-range for my power production.

I guess I am stuck with my shorty headers for the sake of emissions compliance and hooking up California catalytic converters, however I am not sure what I can do with the exhaust piping between those catalytic converters and my Magnaflow catback system which I want to keep. I am not sure if I need to relieve the backpressure and increase scavenging to balance out the performance from this set-up, to use an x-pipe, h-pipe, or to go with a hybrid true duel converging to the cat-back.

Then I am sure a good professional dynotuning will finish off the potential of my set-up.
NY laws aren't anywhere near as tough as CA laws. You're OBDII, so as long as the "check engine" light isn't on you're good to go. A proper tune by somebody with knowledge of setting it up to pass inspection without throwing a code and you'll be fine. Obviously you won't do well with the visual inspection if you delete all of the emission stuff, but most mom+pop shops don't really dig into that stuff, especially on a clean car such as yours.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Arrow

Originally Posted by joelster
NY laws aren't anywhere near as tough as CA laws. You're OBDII, so as long as the "check engine" light isn't on you're good to go. A proper tune by somebody with knowledge of setting it up to pass inspection without throwing a code and you'll be fine. Obviously you won't do well with the visual inspection if you delete all of the emission stuff, but most mom+pop shops don't really dig into that stuff, especially on a clean car such as yours.
Even so, I want my car to be able to pass California standards. So, I realize that I am not looking to produce serious power when this is my daily driver, and I have had to come to a realization that I am better off keeping my car with it's 5.7L LT1 rather than trying to engage in horsepower matching competitions with family who drive twin turbo Porsches. The way I drive my car, how I enjoy just cruising around town enjoying the music from my LT1's hum to Magnflow cat-backs, I don't need to be a show off nor do I care about get shown up. With kids playing on the side streets and people walking on the main streets, there is no point to win moron of the day award trying to pretend I am Dominic Toretto, like some others out there I encounter each day.

The only "racing" I do are modest launches from green lights or rolling starts gunning it onto 65mph expressways. All I really need is a higher gear ratio to keep me in one gear, and then I power shift to cruise her around 1500 RPMs. Thats it.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Cant hurt to call lloyd elliot, he can spec you a cam for exactly what you want. My 215/224 112lsa cam destroys 1st gear with half throttle. 2nd gear i can roll on power and lay black marks once it hits 3-3.5k rpm. Massive mid range torque with this cam and 1 5/8 headers. This is with bilstein shocks, lca's, relo brackets, and panhardbar to help with traction. Seems to make hp to 5800rpm also.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I was told in the past to avoid any porting on the heads to maintain daily driveability. So I suppose I must leave them alone!

false.

Even so, I want my car to be able to pass California standards. .
IDK what NY (from there) is doing about emission testing now but here in Calif. my 96 gets the full colonic. Plug in, tail pipe & visual

I have a 383 ported head, 30 lb injector, shorty header, 218/224 cam car that passes emission testing on all fronts. Admit tingly a good tune for the mods is critical. The car can easily be driven on a daily basis and cross country road trip at the turn of the key. Been driving this set up for years now

you cant go wrong with a 227 cam with stock or ported heads
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 PM
Village Troll

I was told in the past to avoid any porting on the heads to maintain daily driveability. So I suppose I must leave them alone!
That's crap. I ran the LPE ported LT4 heads, 1.6 rockers and Edelbrock shorties going into the stock y-pipe with cats for about a year before installing the 211 cam. It dynoed 310/310 and drove just like stock. Ran a best of 13.2 @ 106 in great weather conditions.
I have no knowledge of the 227 cam or if it will work with cats. You will definitely want a tune with that cam. The 211 is an emissions friendly cam and will work with cats. Where the concern lies when testing OBDII emissions are the 'ready/not ready' flags you can get with certain sensors. You can only have so many "not ready" flags before you fail. Read more about it here:

http://www.obdii.com/articles/obdii_...s_testing.html

From what I understand you can get the "not ready" flags switched to always read "ready" with a tune. The 211 produces no lope so if you're looking for a sleeper cam then IMO this one will do you well.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about the LPE 211/219 cam for my daily driver?