LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ever hear of an optispark doing this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ever hear of an optispark doing this?

been having problems getting my car started. after it fires theres no issue. had a hunch it was the opti. i was kinda right...

i thought the rotor screws had started backing out on me. they were tight...

i took the opti off the car, removed the cap, and found some abrasions on the cap that were 1/2 moons (not a full circle), indicating that one point in the turn of the rotor was higher than another.

like i said the screws were tight. but i spun the rotor by hand and watched the gap under it. it did change. so it wasnt just the pos MSD cap i initially thought was lop sided.

upon further investigating, i found the entire shaft for the rotor was uneven. not bent though...

i was looking at the gap on the back side of the opti on the reciever to the cam's dowel pin. it was uneven! so i took my fingers and pulled the shaft, and POP! it jumps back into place.

i test it to see if it will rub the cap now and all good.

i assume this happened when i installed it last time, i put it in at an angle so i see that the dowel pin was in the correct hole of the opti. i gues when pushing it in i mustve jammed it off center or something?

anybody know of this happening? is my opti junk now?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that shaft is press fit to where the rotor screws in. although i have never had one do that to be before, i cannot imagine that the bushing it rides on will last very long.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

the opti i took off my car when i did my cam was like that, main reason i replaced it. Then i had an ebay opti which somehow spun itself out of time if that makes sense, pretty much with both optis next to eachother with the pin hole at 6 tdc they were off from eachother. Then ive had a an opti arc onto the cap. I've come to realize that just about anything on these cars could be opti related im still a firm believer in replace everything else though and think its not the opti haha
Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Well I went ahead and installed it on the car. I was installing it last night on one attempt and I put pressure on it and heard a little click. And I had lodged it back like it was. So I took it out popes it back into place and installed it no problem. I think it will run good, and if it's on correctly the cam dowel and shaft should hold it in place... I guess well see. Lol how cheap can I buy a opti (good one) without cap and rotor?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

everyone recommends buying a delphi or gm one, but i believe the gm parts ones are re manufactured now, it stinks you weren't looking for one when summit was getting rid of there original gm units for 200, that's when i picked mine up. I don't believe you can buy the gm or delphi units without cap and rotor though, someone can correct me if im wrong though
Old 06-05-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

I think I'm going to give mine a try and it if starts acting cold blooded ill know what it is...
Old 06-08-2013, 12:00 AM
Banned

I can't tell if your Opti distributor is an MSD or just your cap and rotor. My first original opti lasted 130K mi and finally the bearing couldn't hold the shaft straight. The distributor shaft wobbled all over the place. U may want to call MSD (if the dizzy is MSD also) to hear what they have to say. If your have the water pump off now then u could remove the opti and send to MSD for repair. My suspicion is it will work OK for a short period then pop out on you again.
Heck don't feel bad, u can sometimes read where washing the engine bay can get these opti's to fail. I always cover my opti area with plastic before washing the engine.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cardo0
I can't tell if your Opti distributor is an MSD or just your cap and rotor. My first original opti lasted 130K mi and finally the bearing couldn't hold the shaft straight. The distributor shaft wobbled all over the place. U may want to call MSD (if the dizzy is MSD also) to hear what they have to say. If your have the water pump off now then u could remove the opti and send to MSD for repair. My suspicion is it will work OK for a short period then pop out on you again.
Heck don't feel bad, u can sometimes read where washing the engine bay can get these opti's to fail. I always cover my opti area with plastic before washing the engine.
my opti was factory with MSD cap and rotor i think. i put it back in the car after working on it for a bit. wouldnt even start car. i did some looking around for some cheaper opti's that were still reliable. ended up going with a NAPA reman opti. and i have got to say, this piece looks solid. i put it in, and i didnt even hear the starter spin twice before she fired up.

Quick Reply: ever hear of an optispark doing this?