LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Where to get M6 Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Where to get M6 Radiator?

I could've sworn that 93-97 fbody's with manual trannys came with a radiator that didn't have a tranny cooler (automatics did). I'm looking to replace my radiator in my '95 and every autoparts store and online dealer I've searched at only have radiators with tranny coolers (besides BeCool, over $500 a piece)

I have an auto car, but I have an aftermarket cooler so I'd like to get a radiator without a tranny cooler. I figure without the tranny cooler, there would be a bit more capacity in the radiator itself, and it would look cleaner as well in the engine bay.

I'd rather not buy a used one, anybody have any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I doubt they stock a manual only radiator any more. It's probably cheaper overall to do only one model. If just the tank for the manual is still available, perhaps you could swap it out (if you wanted to go to all that trouble). I thought I had read that it was advisable to loop your auxiliary cooler with the stock cooler?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM this guy.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=20727

I've bought a lot of stuff from him since he's local to me. He has a **** ton of LT1/LS1 radiators for sale.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most aftermarket radiators always have the cooler. They don't make manual ones because it really is just a waste in essence
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

... and if you settle and get one from a parts store be prepared to do a few things before it works properly.
The ports for the reservoir, coolant return and low coolant sensor may be undersized. This means you may have to use hose clamps on the hoses because the stock clamps may not have enough pressure to keep the hoses from leaking, and you will have to message the sensor hole a bit to get the sensor to fit properly. The mounts for the sensor brackets may also be a little out of whack and take a bit of doing to get them to fit properly.
At the very least, test fit the low coolant sensor in the radiator before putting it in place. Makes your life a whole lot easier.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one through my uncles garage and everything bolted up 100%... I think his supplier is 1-800-RADIATOR
Old 06-10-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
I doubt they stock a manual only radiator any more. It's probably cheaper overall to do only one model. If just the tank for the manual is still available, perhaps you could swap it out (if you wanted to go to all that trouble). I thought I had read that it was advisable to loop your auxiliary cooler with the stock cooler?
You can do it either way (run aftermarket in series with the stock cooler or the aftermarket as stand-alone). I have an in-line tranny fluid filter as well, so I feel there is a bit much going on there. Many people have reported that running an aftermarket as a stand-alone has been a non-issue for them.

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
PM this guy.

I've bought a lot of stuff from him since he's local to me. He has a **** ton of LT1/LS1 radiators for sale.
Done. Thanks

Originally Posted by SS RRR
... and if you settle and get one from a parts store be prepared to do a few things before it works properly.
The ports for the reservoir, coolant return and low coolant sensor may be undersized. This means you may have to use hose clamps on the hoses because the stock clamps may not have enough pressure to keep the hoses from leaking, and you will have to message the sensor hole a bit to get the sensor to fit properly. The mounts for the sensor brackets may also be a little out of whack and take a bit of doing to get them to fit properly.
At the very least, test fit the low coolant sensor in the radiator before putting it in place. Makes your life a whole lot easier.
Sadly, I suspected as much. I don't want to "settle" on something seemingly so trivial.

Originally Posted by Tom94TA
When I replaced mine recently all I found was A4 radiators so thats what I bought. Murray rad $109 at Oreillys. I notice no difference in cooling. Like SSR said you need to clean up the hose nipples to remove the casting flash. I had to file down the flange for the coolant lvl sensor so the retaining wire would snap around behind it.
These are the kinds of things I hate doing. They can't even get the plastic correct and this thing is supposed to keep my engine alive? Kind of a bad feeling, lol.

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I got one through my uncles garage and everything bolted up 100%... I think his supplier is 1-800-RADIATOR
I checked out their website, I'll have to talk to one of their reps tomorrow and see if they can hook me up. How long ago did you get yours and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
PM this guy.

bought an lt1 block and a stock shortblock from him, good person to deal with

Quick Reply: Where to get M6 Radiator?