LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 ws6 cutout added question of what to add on after cutout opinions wanted.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 96 ws6 cutout added question of what to add on after cutout opinions wanted.

Hello everyone I have a 96 ws6, Ram air, Mid length headers no emissons. No cat, 3 inch pipe of the headers to cutout behind the passnger seat area, soon to add the electric cutout on it, with the cutout closed it goes to a magnaflow catback. Car has a powertune and 3:73 gears.

What brings me to my question is I am curious if anyone has added something behind there cutout not just a turn down but maybe a resonator tip or even a small muffler, there is some nice space behind the passenger seat where the cutout is. Keep in mind this isnt a track only car, mostly a cruise car that scares ricers and a ocssincal race. The reason I added a cutout to my system is because the magnaflow was to quiet for my tastes dont get me wrong it sounds like a lion on wot but I dont want to have to push car up in 3.5k rpms to get that nice rumble, that is when I decided to add the cutout. But everyone knows if you run a cutout and street it, it sounds well to me like a tractor until you wot. So I have been considering adding something to tame it down when I have my cutout open, Any opinons thoughts? Please nothing negative everyone is picky about there car and I am with mine we all have our own tastes.

Last edited by 96firebirdowner; 07-04-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure anyone has done this, you do have an e-cutout meaning it can be opened or closed at the flip of a switch. open it when you feel the need to be loud close it when your magnaflow will do the trick.

P.S. if you cam it, it wont sound like a tractor anymore it will sound bad ***

my wimpy little Comp 304 cam lopes a little when the cutout is open lol
Old 07-05-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a full Hooker catback after my cutout. Isn't the point of a cutout to have it quiet whenever you want?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you should get grid of that open cut out so you don't have that "tractor" sound
Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Its a e cutout only a tractor sound when its open at low rpms. Yeah I know where you guys are coming from. Definitely thinking about looking into a cam I am at the point where its about that time in mods.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

I think what he is talking about is that sound you get at part throttle at maybe 2500-3500 rpm. I wouldn't say it sounds like a tractor, more like an old pickup running exhaust without a cross-over pipe. It doesn't bother me too much. The sound goes away at WOT (like you said), and mine usually isn't open unless I'm hitting WOT a lot. Just the nature of having an i-pipe exhaust. Only real way to get rid of it is to run dual cutouts at the flange between a set of long tubes and the y-pipe, or go true dual. If you listen to your exhaust closely with cutout closed you'll still here that same note, it's just much more muted.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

P.S. Also, yes if you cam it it'll sound a lot better. I have a little old Hotcam and get compliments constantly about how my car sounds with it open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 ws6 cutout added question of what to add on after cutout opinions wanted.