LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking at a TPiS stroker

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As I said my friend's SECOND engine from them has been reliable even with a Scat cast crank, it doesn't make power though. Fast is relative, easy to be faster than before, fast for what it is is another story and you need a baseline to compare to.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As I said my friend's SECOND engine from them has been reliable even with a Scat cast crank, it doesn't make power though. Fast is relative, easy to be faster than before, fast for what it is is another story and you need a baseline to compare to.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
I had TPIS assemble my shortblock last year. Every experience I've had with them has been a good one. I haven't had my car dyno'd yet unfortunately, but the car sure runs strong and hopefully soon I'll get her on the rollers for the final tune and have some solid feedback on the motor for you guys...

I did research before I brought my engine there and didn't really find anything very negative about TPIS. When I made a build thread Dwayne (I think) commented about his buddy with the bad sleeve which was the first time I heard of bad service from them. Never the less his experience did make me worry a bit. When I looked into Doug Rippie online last year I read somewhere that he wasn't into LT1s anymore so I didn't even get in contact with him, though in retrospect I should have..

This thread is the first time I've seen a decent amount of collective negative input on TPIS' service. Prices may have been expensive, but I'm not so sure. I haven't had many people tell me what they paid when they had a shop do shortblock work like I have. And what I have read online it seems like I paid about average. Though maybe a bit on the high side. When I posted how much I paid on my build thread no one said I paid a lot, but maybe they just kept their opinions to themselves. If so I would like to hear some opinions on the pricing just for fun..

I know it's hard to take somebodies word on forums like this but my engine is going strong. Haven't burned any oil or coolant, nor have I lost any due to leaks coming from the block. Also, TPIS base tuned my computer and I'm sort of surprised as to how well the car behaves. A little rich, but I hardly have any cam surge and fuel consumption is a bit better then I thought it would be just on a base tune.

TPIS is only about 15-20 minutes away from me so it was really easy to just have them do the work. Even so, as I get my car tuned more thoroughly and accumulate more miles I'll definitely continue to interject my engines condition with dyno pics/videos and later down the road some gopro track videos.
Thank you for your input, when I talked to them and they gave me a ball park price it wasn't bad. It was kind of in the middle form the other shops, I talked to DRM and they're up for LT1 builds but are the highest I talked to. About $1500 over TPIS on a long block.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You didn't happen to ask drm if they tuned lt1s did you?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transbird95
You didn't happen to ask drm if they tuned lt1s did you?
I did not, I took it that they might not tune or work with the LT1 much any more. When I asked about doing a 24x conversion, kind of acted like they haven't had much experience with it. But I could have miss understood him.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Actually I think that might be what I read, that DRM doesn't tune lt1s anymore... But I'd double check with them.

Quick Reply: Looking at a TPiS stroker