LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 T/A anyone replace cooling fans with higher flow units?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 95 T/A anyone replace cooling fans with higher flow units?

might be having issue with worn, slow fans. i'd like to upgrade rather than stock replace if possible.
Any good sources for replacement fans - that work? with stock replacement radiator.
thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock ones are plenty even for modified applications. What are your mods that would lead you to believe that bigger fans are necessary?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Stock ones are plenty even for modified applications. What are your mods that would lead you to believe that bigger fans are necessary?
I don't believe any mods require higher flow fans, I'm having a temp climb issue that I'm stumped on.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-question.html

with the cost and labor of just replacing OEM fan motors - wouldn't mind improving airflow if fitment and wiring to stock are reasonable.
maybe you have an idea what my temp issue could be from the other thread?
thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

You cannot replace the stockers with better flowing units unless you want to spend a significant amount of money.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a hijack but 2 people with the same problem. My fans wont come on at all. Keep asking technicians in person and most seem to believe The A/C system & Cooling system arent related in anyway shape or form. Kinda getting irritated because im short on money, and I almost feel like I need to get an ASE degree just to fix these 2 problems let alone all the others that have nothing to do with the Fans & A/C. But any help on a firm explanation how & why my fans are not coming on because my A/C system isnt working properly (blowing hot air) would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

My stock fans have always been able to bring the temp down any time they are on. I see no need for anything bigger when the cooling system is otherwise functioning like it should.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Not a hijack but 2 people with the same problem. My fans wont come on at all. Keep asking technicians in person and most seem to believe The A/C system & Cooling system arent related in anyway shape or form. Kinda getting irritated because im short on money, and I almost feel like I need to get an ASE degree just to fix these 2 problems let alone all the others that have nothing to do with the Fans & A/C. But any help on a firm explanation how & why my fans are not coming on because my A/C system isnt working properly (blowing hot air) would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the same problem as mine.
I would suggest reading shbox's webpage explaining the cooling system = very helpful. Some of the electrical/relay stuff is beyond my knowledge, so I can't help further than that.
Originally Posted by shbox
My stock fans have always been able to bring the temp down any time they are on. I see no need for anything bigger when the cooling system is otherwise functioning like it should.
I agree - same experience with my previous 4th gen cars.
I was about to do something I normally don't = buy parts HOPING it will fix a problem.
Reading your page - running hot = air flow or water flow problem. Basic.
I just seem to be looking at fans that turn on/off as programmed, a t-stat that opens/closes at set temp, a water pump that is pumping, a new radiator, clean A/C condenser and no leaks, working A/C system, a perfect air dam and new belt.
Why does my engine temp climb when the A/C is switched on?
Why does it climb to a lesser degree when driving at 65pmh+ ?
Why does it climb going through stop and go traffic only AFTER being driven on open roads?
My set up is FAN 1/FAN 2, low speed / high speed, and I've had those settings at factory and lowered for the 160 stat. No change, except runinng closer to 160 as a baseline.
I see them triggered by the PCM in Datamaster, and see them start spinning with my eyes. So I guess my fans are OK.
I'm losing hair on this one.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OEM stuff is better than about anything aftermarket you are going to find.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Does your car have all the side flaps that funnel the air from the air dam into the radiator?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by shbox
Does your car have all the side flaps that funnel the air from the air dam into the radiator?
That I can't answer. I'll look when I go for a test drive with the WaterWetter and datalog.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

in for knowing how the waterwetter works lol
Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious if you have bled the coolant system several times. Our motors are notorious for air bubbles, and the bleeding process can be finicky for some people. One more item to note is the waterpump, parts store pumps can be defective right out of the box which may lead to a false security in their function, yet they could have missing ball bearings (seen it!)

Edit: seems I missed your question about temperature climbing once the a/c kicks in. This should only happen if the fans don't kick on when the a/c does, they should be on always when the a/c is on.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

FOUND: transmission cooler mounted to front of A/C condenser.

moved it under the car, runs ~180 until stuck in traffic, then cools right down.

thanks for all the ideas, airflow is key.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
OEM stuff is better than about anything aftermarket you are going to find.
This is so true. On my nova I switched to an electric fan and aluminum radiator. Bought 2 or 3 different aftermarket setups untill a friend told me about the OEM Lincoln mark 8 setup. Got the fan and shroud for $35 at the junk yard and been running cool ever since. Another friend of mine is running a gen 4 fbody setup in his 2nd gen and running great. Nothing like OEMs

Quick Reply: 95 T/A anyone replace cooling fans with higher flow units?