LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 dies and starts randomly, now won't start at all

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 dies and starts randomly, now won't start at all

I had posted this issue before, but had no help. Hopefully I'll get better luck this time.

Anyway, I have a '94 Firebird Formula. When I first bought the car, I had no issues with it. Not even the slightest issue. Almost a week later, she shut off. It ran for only 10 minutes, and then it would die for the day. I replaced the ignition switch, ignition control module, and the coil. Still had the same issue. Then as a last resort, the distributor. Shockingly, the distributor fixed the problem.

About a week later, she shut off going down the road. I waited about 10 minutes and she started. A friend of mine told me to try wiggling the distributor harness. After doing so, (and after a few minute wait,) she would start. the wait varied every time. Sometimes, she would start after a 10 minute wait, sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes longer. Hell, sometimes she would start without even touching the harness. There was one time she started right after shutting off.

Well, this time, she didn't want to start at all. After waiting and waiting and waiting, (wiggling the wire, not wiggling it) she just won't start. I can't keep cranking it because the battery is getting low now. It is bad enough to where I had to leave it in the AutoZone parking lot.

I had a few ideas in mind.
1. Maybe the ICM is overheating? I was told this was common, although this one is brand new. (Apparently, the AZ in this damn town can't test the ICM. The one in my home town can but I can't get back there.)
2. Is it possible that the (brand new) distributor was faulty? After all, it IS an opti spark distributor...
3. Do I need to buy a new distributor harness?
4. Is it possible something is just getting hot?

I really need all the help I can get. This car is..... well, 'was' my daily driver. Now I have nothing to drive until I can get some help on how to fix this damn curse.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You called your car a "she" nine times. Just thought I'd point that out.

Also have you checked your fuel pressure?
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

What brand Opti, did you buy? Sometimes the AZ, Advance, O'reilly distributors are not high quality product and can fail pretty quick.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Launching!

1. Yes, I know I call her a 'she'. In my opinion, all cars are ladies and should be treated like them.
2. No, I can't check it until I get back to it, which won't be until tomorrow.
3. I believe it was a new Cardone Distributor from Advance.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I had a problem starting the car when I put some intake cleaner in one of the vacuum hoses last night. I might of been a total dumbass with it but what I did was sprayed half the bottle through the TB then the other half through the hose that goes from the brake booster. I let it sit all night, started it the next morning and it didnt want to start at first. The ignition came on, fuel pump on, but just didnt want to crank, popped the hood and a little stream of smoke came out near the battery(battery was checked at the time). After about 7 times of starting it, she cranked and ran poorly for 20 secs. Of-course white smoke came out of exhaust which is normal. The only question is how the hell does intake cleaner stop a car from cranking while producing smoke near the battery? Hope a thorough answer can relate to the OP’s problem.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You called your car a "she" nine times. Just thought I'd point that out.

Also have you checked your fuel pressure?
I call my car “She” all the time. Because she is a ******* bitch sometimes. Just dont see how “She” is the main thing that caught your attention..
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

If it is a cardone unit..check for a signal resolution code.
Security light poping on by chance?
The icm heatsink should have thermal grease on it or put some washers behind it to move it away from the head.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

It could be your fuel pump is overheating. Has it ever been changed out? If so, was the fuel bucket used or was the fuel pump fastened to the bracket without the bucket?
Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Clean and tighten your battery terminals, I had a similar issue and my negative was loose.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hotbird
If it is a cardone unit..check for a signal resolution code.
Security light poping on by chance?
The icm heatsink should have thermal grease on it or put some washers behind it to move it away from the head.
Actually, yes. The security light has turned on and off a couple of times during this issue. And the ICM does have the dielectric grease between it and the cooling bracket before the head.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Village Troll

Checked your fuel pressure yet?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bow Tie Power
all cars are ladies and should be treated like them.
ride it so hard it can't take it any more then you have to get a new one?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Checked your fuel pressure yet?
Should be checking it today if I can get a ride into town.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

The only reason i mentioned the security light is I once had an issue with my key vibrating and the injectors would cut off going down the road. No sputter just stalled.
I have read several posts where guys say it wont shut off if its already running but mine did. I started using my spare key.
SSRRR is probably onto something with the pump. But i would think it would sputter to a stall instead of just instantly shutting off.
The times I had opti problems the engine would no sputter stall(sometimes backfire)and not start for a while. If im not mistaken you can check the opti singal by just cranking the engine over without starting.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pillarpod
ride it so hard it can't take it any more then you have to get a new one?
Women should be treated with respect in a different manner than whats counterintuitive. as far as the OP This might help:

Old 08-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Launching!

The only reason i mentioned the security light is I once had an issue with my key vibrating and the injectors would cut off going down the road. No sputter just stalled.
I have read several posts where guys say it wont shut off if its already running but mine did. I started using my spare key.
SSRRR is probably onto something with the pump. But i would think it would sputter to a stall instead of just instantly shutting off.
The times I had opti problems the engine would no sputter stall(sometimes backfire)and not start for a while. If im not mistaken you can check the opti singal by just cranking the engine over without starting.
Went to the car earlier today, jumped in, she fired right up. On the way home, she died, started back up, went home, shut her off. I'm a little weary about driving it any more until I fix this issue. (Also, there was never a hesitation. Not even the slightest bit.)
Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Village Troll

The times I had opti problems the engine would no sputter stall(sometimes backfire)and not start for a while.
Makes sense. Still enough pressure in the fuel system to keep the engine running for a few seconds before dying if the pump were to instantly shut down...
Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Makes sense. Still enough pressure in the fuel system to keep the engine running for a few seconds before dying if the pump were to instantly shut down...
That would sound reasonable but if the fuel pump had shut down and stopped sending fuel, wouldn't it sputter at least a little bit? She doesn't do that at all. It's just an instant shut off, rather the car is at 35 MPH, 70 MPH or sitting still.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Village Troll

That's what I'm saying. Even with the pump shutting off there should still be enough fuel pressure to keep the engine running for a half a second or enough to tell you it's shutting down.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Any more ideas? The car has been parked for a couple of days and it really sucks not being able to drive it...

Quick Reply: Lt1 dies and starts randomly, now won't start at all