LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bought 2 cheap LT1 cars.. fix up or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought 2 cheap LT1 cars.. fix up or sell?

I had recently bought a 1997 Camaro z28 6 speed and a 1994 Pontiac Firebird Formula automatic.

The Camaro has no motor but I was told it has a 4.10 rear end differential (Haven't inspected it yet). According to the previous owner, the guy he bought it from had installed an old school 427 big block in it. It is already set up as a 6 speed and has the transmission. However, it needs some work before I can put a motor in it. There is firewall damage, some damage just under the cowl, (I'm assuming the damage is from the big block) and the wiring harness needs to be reinstalled. Although it needs work, I'd have to say the body probably has under 100k miles. (The interior is damn near flawless and the body is in pretty good shape, too.) I only paid $1000 for it. (Also, '97 was the year they upgraded the interior just the way I like it)

The Firebird Formula has been my daily driver for a while (until recent issues with random stalling, but that's in another thread). The automatic transmission, I'm told, has been rebuilt and a shift kit was installed. Honestly, I never liked the interior of this car (although in pretty good shape), but the body looks like crap. The paint is faded pretty bad on the roof and spoiler, there's a huge dent in the driver side quarter panel, a small dent in the passenger side quarter panel, and it has 142k miles on it. I paid $1300 for the car. It's not in the best shape but not bad at all for a good running and drivable LT1

I originally planned on taking the motor out of the Firebird and installing it into the Camaro (which would require the other part swaps such as timing chain cover, opti, crank sensor, knock sensor, etc. for the OBD-II) and drive that. Then, I'd basically be getting a good running '97 z28 6-speed for less than $2300 after parting out the Firebird.

Well, I'm not really sure if I should do this or just sell them and buy a running LT1 6-speed. Doing the swap is going to be much harder than anticipated. I hadn't realize the damage under the hood because when I bought it, it was pitch black, no street lights, and the only light I could use were from our headlights and cell phones. However, if I were to sell these and buy a running LT1 in good shape, it most likely won't be a 6-speed. Even if it is, it WOULD NOT be under 100k miles.

What would you guys recommend? Keep in mind, I love 6 speeds, don't really like automatics (I just tolerate it), and although I really like Firebirds, I'd MUCH rather have a z28.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a pair of GM Service Manuals then pull the engine AND the harness from the 94 and install in the 97 - after spray bombing the engine compartment of the 97 - you'll get the best of the two.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

If it were me, I get a 5.3 for each, do the swaps needed to get them in and running. You'd get more $$$ out of them with LSx in them than an LTx.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
If it were me, I get a 5.3 for each, do the swaps needed to get them in and running. You'd get more $$$ out of them with LSx in them than an LTx.
X2 do what he said
Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell'em and be done with them. If your just going to get another LT then might as well save the money and do the swap

Quick Reply: Bought 2 cheap LT1 cars.. fix up or sell?