LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 bird partout whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 bird partout whats it worth?

So my friend ive known for a few years always had this white 95 trans am and recently he bought a brand new Evo X and wanted to sell the car. In short the timing chain snapped at that's all she wrote. Its been sitting for 2 years but it has alot of aftermarket parts. The paint looks a little mossy but its not chipping nor does the plastic look faded. Stock steel hood, and 16x8 wheels with bad tires, 6sp trans, cloth interior looks nice. I forgot to ask the mileage because i was more interested in parts but I'm guessing between 120k and 80k. Here's a list of everything he has for it.

Honeycomb tails (1 is cracked pretty good)
Borla exhaust
BBK mid lengths with y pipe
BNIB pacesetter longtubes
1.5 RR
1.6 RR
BBK/Professional Products 52mm TB
lt4 heads
lt4 intake
lt4 hotcam
pro 5.0 shifter
stage 3 clutch/lightweight flywheel (spec brand maybe)
He said he had some sort of tune because the rev limiter had been raised

He's asking a big chunk of change for everything, 2700 but that price could be moved. What do you guys think? Personally I'm about to spend a bunch of money painting my car and we have 6 cars in a 2 car driveway so I really don't have the time or the space to fix or even part it out. I was just going to buy a few things here and there.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Teching In

I hope you decide to part it out!!! I really need the left rear tail light assembly if you are!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

If you're gonna part it out, how much would you want for those headers?
But for a car thats been sitting for two years, and with all of those parts, I don't see why you couldn't sell it for that much, if someone wanted a project.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Like I said its not my car, I was contemplating buying it for the few parts I would want and selling the rest. flbandit the DS tailight was in good shape but his PS honeycomb was the one cracked its located in south jersey.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Teching In

OH ok, mine are the grid type used on 93-97 TAs so that's the one I need.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is the car? is the dash in good shape? color?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

White in color, its a 95, not sure about the dash but im sure it has a crack or two but it didn't strike me as a total mess.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

i am interested in the dash if he could get a picture... maybe PM it to me?

he will def get more by parting it out
Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

That's the problem he doesn't want to part it out and it isn't even listed on cl. Wants to sell it as whole as possible. Tried selling me the top end and cam though. The only things that aren't attached to the car are the BNIB pacesetters and maybe one or both sets of RR.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Unfortunately, the car will never really be worth anything if it doesn't work. A little more cash and you could have a running 6 spd car in this area.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Right thats what Im saying. I know my way around carbed sbc's, and my dads a GM tech, and I already know a kid with a truck and a trailer I just think the price is a bit high. My dad was worried about an aluminum piston hitting steel valves though when the timing chain snapped. And my mother isn't happy about having 6 cars already in a 3 person household. So yeah what my dad suggested is seeing if he had any of the stock parts laying around (doubtful) fixing it and making it stockish again, better off selling it that way, and then selling off the aftermarket stuff maybe keeping some for when my motor decides to get pulled.

If he doesn't even have the time to list it its doubtful he wants to part it out, would rather sell it all in one shot. And I'm doubtful he would want to ship parts either. Luckily I see a few of you are in the PA NJ DE area and I wouldn't mind pming you his contact info. I wish I could go buy his top end and all this crazy go fast stuff off him but I have some decent high miles on my motor, and also I really want to address my paint. So since its getting no advertizing except when me or others drive through his neighborhood I figure I'd throw it up here.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

If he is willing to drop the price by a pretty large margin then I'd be interested because 2700 is really steep for a car that needs its heads pulled and possibly overhauled. Probably gonna need new valves, new valvetrain parts, and the guides might need some work, too. There's also no one to vouch for the condition of the trans, rear, suspension, and all of the bells and whistles because it doesn't drive... and a snapped chain isn't really common on a car with that many miles (cam or not) so it sounds like this thing was really beaten on. Way too much risk involved imo.

Then you factor in all of the mods which come together to make a pretty lame combo... mid length headers, stock LT4 kit, baby hotcam, a throttle body... There are plenty of more powerful and cheaper setups out there and none of those parts are particularly useful (except maybe the pacesetters if they're LTs). Pair that with stock wheels and I can't say I'd pay much more than $1500 for it. Just doesn't seem worth it in the end.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd take the whole car minus the motor if he decides to part it out. I have a bunch of spare LT1 performance parts looking for a home and would really love another 6 spd car.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you part it out. I'd say you'd break even. The 6 speed swap parts are going to fetch the most money. Then all the aftermarket and little stuff here and there. I parted out two cars and neither of them brought any real cash. And I had it sitting in my yard half torn apart for a long time.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I parted out a car a few years ago, got about $3200 after it was all said and done, but it took ALOT of time to tear it apart, take pictures, put up posts and ads, and find buyers. Took about a year. Only reason I did it was because I paid $500 for the car. If your selling it whole dont expect more than $1500.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

I tired selling my hydrolocked 6spd car. Its got headers,stage 2 trans,cc503,and many other goodies. In the end its sitting in my yard since the summer. Current offer on the whole car with good interior and body is $800 cash and a $1000 miata hardtop. Good luck as the car was for sale running for sometime for $2500 and would not sell.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Yeah its a wash when the car was in the 3000 dollar range when I first asked him and literally 30 seconds later it went to 2700 even still its just alot of work Id be happy at 2grand. I deal on craigslist all the time selling my own stuff and my familys stuff because the constant tetxts, emails, calls, missed appointments are not worth the few dollars the item is worth to say my parents. He's still back in the 90s saying that his t56 without the clutch/flywheel is worth 2 grand alone. In reality they are 800 bucks? on the low side. If he moves it lower i might pick it up but honestly one of you guys should pm me for his info and perhaps you can knock it down a few and maybe get something you need out of it.

Quick Reply: lt1 bird partout whats it worth?