LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Carbureting LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbureting LT1

I know this subject has been beat to death but I'm trying to verify a few somethings.

I have an 86 firebird that the previous owner swapped a carbed 350 into. Well this engine is getting to where it needs some attention and Im not really interested in dropping any money into this particular motor but the thought of a carbureted LT1 sounds like a neat idea. I've done a good bit of research on the swap and i know ill need an intake and other things, i can also ****** a few parts off my current engine. The carburetor will be a Holley 650

My questions are:
1) What will the driveability be like?
2) What kind of gas mileage could I expect?
3) Will this be a pretty reliable set up?

Id like to here from the people who have done this swap. And I don't want anything said about efi vs carb.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
.....I'd like to here from the people who have done this swap. And I don't want anything said about efi vs carb.
OK, I won't say anything about carb vs. EFI, as in all reality, a well operating EFI is a lot better on the street. However, having said that, I think given the year of your Firebird, there probably would be a LOT of electrical issues that would have to be addressed in order to get an LT1 up and running.

I had an '85 Firebird with a 4 BBL carbed engine, which I owned for 10 years, selling it to buy the '96 LT1 powered Z-28 I currently own. It's just my opinion that it would be easier to "back-track" your car to 1985 electronics, and run a carbed, "standard" small block Chevy, than to adapt an LT1 to your car, with all the additional electronics involved.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A carbed LT1 will run just like any other sbc, it's essentially the same engine. I had one with ported heads and cam with the gmmp lt1 carb intake 850 vac carb and headers in my 83 Malibu wagon and it ran like a raped ape with the 2004r and 3.73 gears. You will need the timing cover plug which replaces the optispark and acts as a timing pointer.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

As far as converting to carb is concerned it's very simple.You can buy gmpp dual plane intake or convert your existing sbc intake and modify bolt holes or some just use perimeter bolts.Put your distributor out back and modify timing cover opti hole etc.Why wouldn't it be reliable? If carb is tuned properly gas mileage won't be bad.I regularly street drive a much more radical carb lt1 and gas mileage n drivability aren't horrible.Do a search here I believe suicidal racing did a right up about conversion!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why would you be considering an LT1? Just put another gen 1 in it.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

The radiator inlet/outlet will have to be addressed, unless you have access to an LT1 style radiator. Not a big issue, but could cause some problems if you don't have a lot of room to work with and you have to use the Firebird radiator.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why? Efi is easy
Old 10-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Teching In

I know in all reality an efi setup would outperform a carbureted setup in reliability and fuel economy but a well tuned carburetor should compete pretty closely. Id just like to keep this car as simple as possible with no added wires or electronics.

And nothing against gen 1 engines id just like to try something different by doing a carbed LT1. Seems like a neat swap and should be a well performing motor when everything is said and done. I know it wont be as simple as dropping another gen 1 in there but i don't think it'll all that difficult either
Old 10-03-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

you can buy a distributor cover plug plate from GM Performance Parts that bolts to the same 3 holes as the Opti would and has a timing pointer on it. You do use the Opti seal, the cover has a "plug" that fits in it.

I am doing a carb LT1 355/T56 for a 70 Nova project. The LT1, essentially, is just a sbc. Just reverse cooling. Get the correct 4-barrell intake. I don't have that part # off hand

carb notor may not get the "consistant" gas milage as FI but isn't going to be really that much diffrence.

In your particular application I don't know which wires in your harness to use. My Nova was already a carb car. I am going with a in-tank FP

Quick Reply: Carbureting LT1