LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rebuilt Motor - First Key Turn. No Start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Update - Way too much fuel.

So we replaced the starter. No more grinding, works like a champ.

New opti. No start. Couple of coughs. Seems more like fuel.

Pulled the dipstick. Reeked of gas. Changed the oil, put new in.

Gave the TB a shot of starter fluid. Car started for a second and a half. Then stopped. I'm thinking the tune is way too rich or something has the injectors stuck wide open. Any thoughts?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
So we replaced the starter. No more grinding, works like a champ.

New opti. No start. Couple of coughs. Seems more like fuel.

Pulled the dipstick. Reeked of gas. Changed the oil, put new in.

Gave the TB a shot of starter fluid. Car started for a second and a half. Then stopped. I'm thinking the tune is way too rich or something has the injectors stuck wide open. Any thoughts?
It should still run even if really rich....just burn your eyes and stink a lot. I'd check the fuel pressure, check the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator for gas, and pull the fuel rails with injectors in place...then prime the pump, if one is leaking, then bingo. It's possible your fuel pump is just old and on it's way out....Racetronix pump and hotwire kit time if so!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try starting it while holding the gas pedal all the way to the floor. If that doesn't work, check your fpr, then injectors
Old 03-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Teching In

That's the thing, the entire fuel system is brand new including the Racetronix pump and the injectors...also tried holding it to the floor while cranking and that didn't get it going. It's flooding out plain and simple from too much fuel. The pressure regulator vac hose is totally dry so the diaphragm is good.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Injectors are brand new Bosch Design III 32.5 lb/hr injectors. PCM was tuned by Madtuner for all mods. Fuel system is Racetronix kit with the harness, all new. We have pressure. About 45 lbs during cranking.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Pull the fuel rail and injectors still together off the manifold. Simply charge the fuel system and see if any are leaking or spraying. Dont try to start yet. If anything did leak or spray thats ur flood problem.
Just an FYI Madtuner is gone for a few weeks so that aspect of it may have to wait but on his site it did say that he would have email to check for problems.
Have you checked for spark yet?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, Madtuner is on vacation but I did send an email to him and he did get back to me which is awesome. He suspects that it might be faulty injectors. I contacted the company I bought the injectors off of and he said he would be glad to pull the injectors in, flow them on the bench to see if there are any issues and if there are replace them free but he did say all their products are genuine injectors so I don't know. Seems unlikely to get 8 Bosch injectors that all died at the same time, that were brand new.

For fuel though, the pressure is checked and good. 41 psi at prime, 45 during cranking. Fuel pump, relay, filter, and the whole lot is new. Racetronix fuel pump kit with the harness, installed. Injectors are Bosch Design III 34.5 lb/hr injectors, new.

Opti is brand new. The cam dowel is fine, aligned correctly on both the opti and the cam pin opening. Wires new. Plugs new. ICM new. Coil new. And judging by the fact that it did fire right up with premium starting fluid, ignition isn't the issue.

Starter and battery are new. I'm running out of ideas. I feel like its either the tune or the injectors.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
Yea, Madtuner is on vacation but I did send an email to him and he did get back to me which is awesome. He suspects that it might be faulty injectors. I contacted the company I bought the injectors off of and he said he would be glad to pull the injectors in, flow them on the bench to see if there are any issues and if there are replace them free but he did say all their products are genuine injectors so I don't know. Seems unlikely to get 8 Bosch injectors that all died at the same time, that were brand new.

For fuel though, the pressure is checked and good. 41 psi at prime, 45 during cranking. Fuel pump, relay, filter, and the whole lot is new. Racetronix fuel pump kit with the harness, installed. Injectors are Bosch Design III 34.5 lb/hr injectors, new.

Opti is brand new. The cam dowel is fine, aligned correctly on both the opti and the cam pin opening. Wires new. Plugs new. ICM new. Coil new. And judging by the fact that it did fire right up with premium starting fluid, ignition isn't the issue.

Starter and battery are new. I'm running out of ideas. I feel like its either the tune or the injectors.
As mentioned twice now, did you pull the fuel rail yet with injectors in place, prime the fuel pump (key on...not start) and see if they leak? If it's flooded as you say, they must be working somehow....check if they leak or not.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

We have a new PCM coming in with a fresh tune for tomorrow. Going to try it to see if somehow when we had our grounding issue, it backfed and blew the last PCM. If it starts, then it was probably the PCM.

If it still doesn't start, we can play games with the injectors.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

I know you said it is, but are you are positive the fuel pressure regulator is good? I had mine go out and was spraying gas thru the vac line on the pass side of the intake manifold when the fuel pump would prime. It was flooding the engine and would not start, oil smelled heavily of gas. Either pull the vac line off the manifold, or open the throttle body and look inside while someone turns the key (key on - engine off) and see if any gas squirts out.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Efforting standby over...
Old 03-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Teching In

It's alive...chalk one for schaefz28 on the fuel pressure regulator
Old 03-10-2014, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Score. Now post a vid of it running
Old 03-10-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Double kudos to SchaefZ28 on the FPR. That was the gremlin in the fuel system. Didn't know it could cause a no-start condition. The more you know...

See the new thread for vids.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Motor - First Key Turn. No Start.