LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Z28 with bad fuel pump on Craigslist...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z28 with bad fuel pump on Craigslist...

A guy is selling his 97 z28 auto. It has a cc502, worked heads, new valves and springs, headers, cat delete, cutout with a flowmaster muffler, and Corvette rims, looks like 17/18s. He says the motor was built by a shop. Trans was rebuilt with a 2800 stall. He said he installed a new fuel pump and after that it wouldn't run right. He dropped it off at a shop, then the started went out. He says that they never called him about it and they never tried to diagnose the fuel pump problem. He just went by one day and found out himself, so he was pissed off and just had the Z towed home and lost interest in it. He says it just needs a fuel pump and starter. He is asking $2000, just dropped it from $2500. Those are easy to fix and I can do it. I do not have experience with the cam swap, so I was wondering if it also needs bigger fuel injectors or a tune in addition to the fuel pump. Maybe something else? It seems to me that it is something else besides the fuel pump. My problem right now is my DD. It's an '03 Civic with 148,000. I am the original owner. It runs great and everything works (except cruise), and the auto trans slips from the 2-3 upshift. I know it needs a rebuild, but shops are wanting $1400 to $2400 to do it. I would rather get another z28 again (used to have a '94) than dump that much money into my Civic. I might see if he wants to trade, but I don't want the problem with the Z to be something bigger, since I wouldn't be able to start it and see how it runs. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1994greenz28
A guy is selling his 97 z28 auto. It has a cc502, worked heads, new valves and springs, headers, cat delete, cutout with a flowmaster muffler, and Corvette rims, looks like 17/18s. He says the motor was built by a shop. Trans was rebuilt with a 2800 stall. He said he installed a new fuel pump and after that it wouldn't run right. He dropped it off at a shop, then the started went out. He says that they never called him about it and they never tried to diagnose the fuel pump problem. He just went by one day and found out himself, so he was pissed off and just had the Z towed home and lost interest in it. He says it just needs a fuel pump and starter. He is asking $2000, just dropped it from $2500. Those are easy to fix and I can do it. I do not have experience with the cam swap, so I was wondering if it also needs bigger fuel injectors or a tune in addition to the fuel pump. Maybe something else? It seems to me that it is something else besides the fuel pump. My problem right now is my DD. It's an '03 Civic with 148,000. I am the original owner. It runs great and everything works (except cruise), and the auto trans slips from the 2-3 upshift. I know it needs a rebuild, but shops are wanting $1400 to $2400 to do it. I would rather get another z28 again (used to have a '94) than dump that much money into my Civic. I might see if he wants to trade, but I don't want the problem with the Z to be something bigger, since I wouldn't be able to start it and see how it runs. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
It's definitely a gamble....the guy could be hiding bigger issues as is often the case with craigslist "gems"; if you are feeling lucky, I'd lowball him at like $1500, he's probably getting desperate to get rid of it if has already dropped the price. Use the possible unknown issues and non-running state of the car to your advantage during negotiation. Also, act as if you are put off and uninterested in it's modifications....they do technically REDUCE the value of a used car, especially if not done right. If it turns out to be a basketcase, needing more than the fuel pump, you could always just part it out to get your money back. How many mile are on the Camaro? Is the body/interior in good shape?

Last edited by ahritchie; 04-17-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Teching In

He's ad does not mention mileage. It does say that the interior needs work and I see from the pics that the clear coat is peeling. Also, he says that the car has been sitting, which I don't like either. I know it's just a matter of time before my trans goes out completely, but my plan was what ever I sell my Civic for was going to be my budget for my next car. Problem is, no one wants a Civic with a bad trans, unless it is super cheap...so I'm kind of screwed.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I find it really hard to believe people put all this work into their car only to sell it and say it "only needs..." simple parts to get it going again. Reads more like all you'd be doing is buying someone else's headache. I wouldn't even consider it unless it was running.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Yeah, you're right. He claims there is $6 grand in the engine and trans...sounds to good to be true.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1994greenz28
He's ad does not mention mileage. It does say that the interior needs work and I see from the pics that the clear coat is peeling. Also, he says that the car has been sitting, which I don't like either. I know it's just a matter of time before my trans goes out completely, but my plan was what ever I sell my Civic for was going to be my budget for my next car. Problem is, no one wants a Civic with a bad trans, unless it is super cheap...so I'm kind of screwed.
Yes, any car sitting for years will have issues, my 94 sat for 3 years after it was wrecked, got it fixed up and back on the road and it promptly blew a head gasket within two weeks I had to spend over 7K for all sorts of various BS getting a "free" inherited 66' Healey back on the road after sitting for 6 years, none of which would have been necessary had the car been driven on a somewhat regular basis; that car is a whole different ballgame being nearly 50 years old though. I'd try to gather as much info as you can, how long it sat, mileage, all the defects and use it all to argue a lowball price if you're a gambler. Honestly, if it's a daily driver, I'd get something that is currently running and somewhat reliable. Get an old man Buick regal GS supercharged or a grand prix with the bulletproof 3800 SC, put a pulley on the supercharger, and you have fast, cheap, and reliable!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fix your civic if everything else is in decent shape. Even if you decide to sell it, its worth more in working condition than not.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Teching In

I have been driving it for two years with the slip, so I have been wondering how long I can go without fixing it. My wife says if we fix the trans, she wants to keep it, but it is so boring to drive. I want a fun DD. I have been trying to talk her into a GTO, but she doesn't want a car payment.(I work, she stays home with kids) Anyways, I will probably pass on this car, seems to be to much work. Thanks for all the imput and advice.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

"worked heads with new valves" and 2800 stall, I could be wrong but I bet the mod quality is lacking and the shop was the average local hack who can't build a 4L60E half as well as the factory much less improve it.

$6K doesn't go far in an engine and tranny when "he had a shop build it". Most of us with a decent tranny and stall have $2500-3000 in the pair, good heads(ported stock you supply the cores) and valvetrain can easily top $2500. Hell if he did things well he could have $6000 in a good topend and tranny without ever paying the labor for a shop to "build" the engine.

If he could provide receipts that showed the stuff wasn't the average local halfassed crap and you had the time and money for a basketcase project then you could maybe consider it, otherwise RUN.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You could go and jack it up and rap on the starter with a hammer as someone tries to crank it, the relay could be getting stuck, had that happen on my truck, had to have old ladies sit in my truck at grocery stores a few times and crank it while I beat on it with a rock until it cranked. If you can get it to crank then check fuel pressure. If you can get that far and have shitty fuel pressure, maybe it's worth a shot, but blindly dropping $2000 on that car especially an a4 that you can get running for that price isn't worth it. Maybe $1000
Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Pretty sure 98 or 99 to like 02 to 03 honda trans are known to grenade

Quick Reply: Z28 with bad fuel pump on Craigslist...