LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Freeze plugs popped

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Freeze plugs popped

I have no idea of cUse of this or a solution at this time for this.... I was replacing a broken radiator hose on my 383 stroker today... As I was filling up the radiator I was pissing fluid our the back of the motor.... I got under the car and noticed the front drivers side block freeze plug was laying on the crossmember ... I pulled the trans inspection cover off and the rear drivers plug was the same way.... So now I have to deff pull the trans to fix the rear one and pray to the car gods this engine is ok

The car never overheated on me and I've never seen this b4 .... Any ideas anyone
Old 04-26-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

holly water pressure...

since the motor did not over heat (assuming your gauge is right) something is building up pressure to puke freeze plugs.

assume correct size freeze plugs were used. some builders put RTV on outer edges before install

confirm your stat opens and your gauge works correctly......and you bleed the air out of the system
Old 04-26-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

im kinda wondering if maybe the coolant didnt have enough antifreeze in it and maybe they just popped from that which isnt good but maybe not as bad as it could be....i usually just run water in the car and drain for winter and add some antifreeze but maybe the block didnt fill with any?????
this will just be a pain to pull the tranny in my garage with solid motor mounts to get to the top tran bolts.....then again i also have a new kmember thats been sitting in the corner of my garage waiting to go in plus i think the front seal of my tranny is leaking anyways........
Old 04-26-2014, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usual cause is bad coolant and they just rust through.

Al
Old 04-26-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

the plugs were new 10 years ago and have about 20000 miles on them.....the plugs are solid with no rust or anything ( i have both of the ones that fell out)

the coolant wascompletely flushed out a year ago

the last time i drove the car when i put in storage last oct i had just driven it 400 miles with no probs( well not no probs it was having a throttle cable/traction cable issue) where i worried about the freezing issue is i fired it up in feb in my garage and if the blockdidnt have the mixed coolant well .....
Old 04-27-2014, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spcearle
the plugs were new 10 years ago and have about 20000 miles on them.....the plugs are solid with no rust or anything ( i have both of the ones that fell out)

the coolant wascompletely flushed out a year ago

the last time i drove the car when i put in storage last oct i had just driven it 400 miles with no probs( well not no probs it was having a throttle cable/traction cable issue) where i worried about the freezing issue is i fired it up in feb in my garage and if the blockdidnt have the mixed coolant well .....
FWIW, I'm the original owner of a '96 Z-28, that I took delivery of in October of 1995. It currently has about 78,000 miles, gets stored every winter, and has the original freeze plugs firmly in place. Given how cold the winter was this past year, I'd suspect that there wasn't enough anti-freeze in your mixture.

If the plugs popped out, however, you should have seen a big puddle under the car. Did you?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the two front ones on each side pop on mine last year. Didn't have enough antifreeze in the system before it got cold. I was able to get new ones in without mich trouble. Never noticed a puddle under the car in the gravel/snow where it was parked. Didn't have to remove anything or lift the motor. Your trans will deffenetly need to be take out to do the rear one though. This will be the second summer I've driven on the new one ones without any problems. Have you checked your oil to see if the water might have went that way?

Fwiw: The plugs actually arent designed for freeze protection. They are left over from the casting process.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

The car was in storage 300 plus miles away from where I was living so never had a chance to notice anything ... Plus there is a drain under where the car is parked
Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

well not ruling out the possibility but checked my oil and at least that is normal so hopefully my block is alright so it will just be the point of pulling stuff to fix it

since this happened i plan on just pulling the drivetrain out since i have a long laundry list of stuff to do anyways

figure its time to put a good tc in it and repair my trans front seal
have my headers recoated

i have to rerun brake lines and remount my traction control unit since i installed a low
mount alternator system

install my tubular kmemeber and control arms

cut out the old front top strut mount bolts to put in my new coil overs

paint up the underbody and engine bay correctly where i couldnt get to it while drivetrain was installed

put in a larger oil pan

repaint block and tranny a nice silver to dress the ole girl up some more

that should about do it...alot of time and work brcause of 2 $2 freeze plugs...maybe ill be able to drive it b4 the season is over...lol
Old 04-28-2014, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This sounds like it is because of $8 worth of antifreeze missing not because of $2 freeze plugs.

Hope it works out and nothing cracked.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

I never said that it was the freeze plugs fault.... Actually recall stTing that I think the prob was not enough antifreeze or more important not giving the car enough run time to circulate the coolant thru the motor enough... I'm stating that I'll be doing all this as a result of having to replace some $2 plugs... Or at least giving myself an excuse to do this
Old 04-28-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

really confirm you just puked freeze plugs.......and did not crack the block somewhere else. pressure check the radiator also

Quick Reply: Freeze plugs popped