LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cant shift into reverse..clutch? slave cylinder? help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cant shift into reverse..clutch? slave cylinder? help please

Two days ago on my way home from work, I noticed that the clutch on my 97 m6 felt different. The car shifted fine so I didn't think much of it. The following morning, when I was leaving for work I couldn't shift the car into reverse. So I pushed the car out of the garage, Now I notice that the clutch feels even more different, and its hard to get the car into 1st gear. The clutch doesn't seem to engage and im flooring the clutch pedal all the way down and im almost forcing the car into gear. So I leave it alone and drive my other car to work. When I get home, I try again. this time, I cant get the car into gear while the car is on, so I turn the car off and put the car in gear and then turn the car on. Now the damn car is moving forward while I have the clutch pedal floored. What the hell is going on? The car wasn't slipping so I hope my clutch isn't gone. Could it be the slave cylinder, I did observe a slight amount of clear fluid on the slave cylinder. I HOPE ITS NOT MY DAMN TRANSMISION. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Clutch is most likely dragging. Could very well be hydraulic related. Much easier to deal with than pulling the trans. If you see fluid on the clutch hyd. assembly then most likely it is bleeding pressure somewhere. Have you checked the fluid level? If it is indeed a leak it's much easier to get the entire assembly/pre-bled than replacing component and bench bleeding.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it's hard to tell if the problem is in the master or the slave plus the bleeding issues, it's better to replace the entire system with a new pre-bled unit and be done with it.
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...224&cc=1035964

Quick Reply: cant shift into reverse..clutch? slave cylinder? help please