LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1995 trans am Lt1 challenging issue NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 trans am Lt1 challenging issue NEED HELP!

I just bought a 1995 trans am Lt1 for 2grand (not running)
It sat for about 5-6 months threw a cold harsh winter and when I picked it up I had to put a few things in it to get ER going; I did a fuel rail,fuel pressure regulator,opti spark with new plugs and wires! After replacing all of that and the oil what do you know it fired right up...but ran like crap for a bit, after driving it and letting it idle it started to overheat,We then deleted the coolant temp sensor and installed an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge to get a more accurate reading because the previous owner stated that he replaced the radiator,water pump,thermostat and said the stock gauge in the cluster was faulty.Well with the new gauge the car still read it was overheating and my buddy was convinced I bought a car with a blown headgasket but my gutt told me otherwise so I picked up a 180degree thermostat and BAM! That fixed the overheating issue NOW THE FUN PART: PLEASE HELP!!!!
Driving my trans around temp holds around 189-195ish but at a traffic light when the car idels for 30-to a min the check engine light turns on around 215ish, rmps drop to 400 and hold there and the voltage gauge drops to under 12 volts and the radiator fans kick on and if you don't rev the car and hold it at 1,000 rpms it will stall out? But if you don't let it stall and start driving it again the check engine light shuts off and voltage returns back to norm.
also lately the car has been stalling out on me at very random times and when you turn the acc on the under hood and dash electronics go on the fritz!! And its not a bad alternator because I pulled it out and had it tested 7 times and passed everytime! Please help this is destroying me and I don't know what I can do
1995 trans am automatic with a rebuild transmission with about 300 miles on it
Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 PM

Also mileage is 101,000 and has a hole in the exaust right after the cat
Old 05-11-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The check engine light is trying to tell you. Scan to get the code(s). The temp is now normal. The voltage goes down because of the low idle.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:06 PM

Yeah that's true but the car is an obd1 system and has a obd2 plug port and it dose not recognize the car
whatever is going on it happens when the radiator fans want to turn on! Other than that it runs fine
Old 05-12-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Most codes turn the fans on. That's normal operation. An OBD-I scanner (or software program) with the right cable will scan your car. Or you can adapt an OBD-I scanner with a 12 pin cable like this.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Thanks for that bit! I'm going to try that first I have to find an OBD1 Scan tool
base off exp, where in the hell do you think I'm going to end up with this problem.
I'll be sure to post back if your guess was close or off!
Is having a lt1 fbody worth the head ace?

Quick Reply: 1995 trans am Lt1 challenging issue NEED HELP!