LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fans not coming on & Running hot.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fans not coming on & Running hot.

94 Firebird is having trouble with getting hot. Stays cool when traveling but if going slow or stopped temp climbs to near red. I never have let it get into the red. I always shut it off. Do these cars normally run pretty hot?

I checked the fans when the gauge was right at the edge of the red mark and they where not running. I assume at least one should be on. What should I check first? I don have a OBD1 scanner so I can't see what the PCM temp sensor is reading. Should I check the resistance of the sensor? Or should I check for power to the fans when it's hot?

Thanks for any help
Old 05-15-2014, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It would be best if you had a scanner. That's something everyone needs in the toolbox. The following link has some info you can use to troubleshoot (including sensors).

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#cooling
Old 05-16-2014, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What scan tool would you recommend? I have an OBD2 scanner but I dont know if I can buy an adapter for it or if i need a whole different tool
Old 05-16-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

An OBD-II only scanner won't work. You can buy old OBD-I scanners or use a cable and laptop with free scanning software (like scan9495) or trial then buy version of TTS Datamaster.

Quick Reply: Fans not coming on & Running hot.