LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Reluctant cold start

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reluctant cold start

I have a 95 Z w/ 48k and the 4l60e. It is all stock except for an SLP cai and magnaflow cat back. I double checked the air intake connections and all seems good. I'm on my second tank of gas, Speedway 93 from a good station.

The car runs fantastic once running, at idle, in traffic, on highway, all good.

My concern is that it seems to crank longer than it should, or I THINK it should at cold. Right now it is cranking 3-5 seconds, then catches and runs fine.

The fuel pump was scoped by my mechanic a week ago and pronounced healthy. Fuel filter has less than 1k. No ses light or apparent codes. I may pull the elbow and clean the tb with 3m maf and tb cleaner. When I did the cai, the maf wasn't unhooked and looked spotless.

I plan on putting some good cleaner through the fuel with the next tank too. I have 100+ on a full fill up, so it'll be a couple weeks the way I drive it.

The issue seems recent. I may just seem paranoid, but has anyone else seen this? It seems like she used to catch instantly, now not so much.

Thoughts?
Dave
Old 06-06-2014, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this trick, turn key on but don't start the car. Wait three seconds and turn key off. Repeat three times then start the car. See if it fires right up.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

A weak battery can cause that issue or corrosion on the terminals/connectors.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Try this trick, turn key on but don't start the car. Wait three seconds and turn key off. Repeat three times then start the car. See if it fires right up.
Tried it at lunch. Fired right away...just like it used to. Any thoughts on what it might be? The battery was replaced with a cheap pos before I bought it last year.

Dave
Old 06-06-2014, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dapsaute
Tried it at lunch. Fired right away...just like it used to. Any thoughts on what it might be? The battery was replaced with a cheap pos before I bought it last year.

Dave
That's usually a sign that the fuel pump is weak or the system is bleeding down. Put a test gauge on it to check your fuel pressure.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Teching In

I saw the scope chart and the mechanic said he liked what he saw, including a draw of about 5 amps. If it's bleeding down, would that be a regulator issue typically? I do not have a fuel pressure gage and unfortunately just put $600 into the ac, so I really don't imagine the wife will dug another big bill. Damn.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

A fuel pressure test gauge is about $35 or you can usually "borrow" one from an auto parts store loaner program. It is an essential tool for working in fuel injected cars.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup ck valve on the fuel pump is letting the fuel return to the tank.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Mine was the fuel pump when it did it. But, I think the regulator can do it too.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Teching In

My mechanic will loan me his and will probably test it next weekend.

I'll check the vacuum line to the for for fuel this weekend.

Drove it about 70 miles today with no apparent issues other than the hesitation on starting when stone cold. I went to cruise night and it sat for a couple hours with no issues at all.

I'll put about 1500 on it this year before I put it away. If it is a sticking fuel pump check valve, would it affect the health of the pump otherwise? Or is this a nuisance thing for a limited use vehicle like mine?

Thanks
Dave
Old 06-06-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Depends on what is actually causing the bleed down. My pump quit working about 6 months after it started doing what yours is.

Quick Reply: Reluctant cold start