LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what's the biggest mm throttle body i can put on a stock LT1 intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what's the biggest mm throttle body i can put on a stock LT1 intake

Also where can I get an aftermarket radiator support for my 4th gen firebird. If that's even what its called.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

52mm TB

IMHO boring a stock to 52 over buying a aftermarket TB is the way to go if doing a 52

you can run a 58 but that will require machining out the stock intake
Old 06-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
52mm TB

IMHO boring a stock to 52 over buying a aftermarket TB is the way to go if doing a 52

you can run a 58 but that will require machining out the stock intake
But let's say I did buy a 52mm throttle body , would I have to alter the intake or heads? Because I don't want to just yet
Old 06-18-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula313
But let's say I did buy a 52mm throttle body , would I have to alter the intake or heads? Because I don't want to just yet
No. The only thing that needs to be changed for a 52mm is the line pressure table for A4 cars.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to go ahead and ask why you think you need a bigger TB? The stocker can handle quite a bit. And why do you need a new radiator support?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
I'm going to go ahead and ask why you think you need a bigger TB? The stocker can handle quite a bit. And why do you need a new radiator support?
I was just wondering , about the throttle body. I plan to do other mods later in life. But about the support.. I've seen people with chrome ones, I want one but can't find it
Old 06-18-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a larger throttle body on a stock engine, you'll see zero benefit other than your wallet will be lighter by the price of a useless (to you) piece. Stock is good for a bunch of horsepower.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was just wondering , about the throttle body. I plan to do other mods later in life. But about the support.. I've seen people with chrome ones, I want one but can't find it
Why not wait and do the TB later when you can do it more completely?

Or are you going to be one of those news who thinks he has it all figured out and just wants us to tell you how to do what you have decided is best, rather than have us help you make choices more efficiently than we did.

Far as the actual question 52mm is the biggest fit without any mods, 54 or 58mm are easily accommodated with minor inlet porting that some have even done on the engine but the waterless intake is easily pulled for cleaner porting.

Then there is the question of which TB, for 52 or 54mm the ONLY choice I would make is rebored stocker as they work better than almost all the aftermarket ones, but gthere is still the argument of since 58mm is easily accommodated why not go all the way to that. Or a stock intake can be opened up more to accommodate a 1300cfm monoblade, but that screws up the idle air distribution which is a hassle to resolve for a street car.

The best advise anyone can give you is to ask meaningful questions and LISTEN to thoughtful answers.

Just telling you a 52mm fits without modding the stock intake or that the stock casting can be slightly modified to accommodate a monoblade doesn't address that most of the aftermarket TBs need mods to work right, or that without adding 150hp+ a larger TB is of questionable benefit.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

I bought one from Summit it is polished stainless
Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still don't understand your radiator support issue.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

Or are you going to be one of those news who thinks he has it all figured out and just wants us to tell you how to do what you have decided is best, rather than have us help you make choices more efficiently than we did.

Far as the actual question 52mm is the biggest fit without any mods, 54 or 58mm are easily accommodated with minor inlet porting that some have even done on the engine but the waterless intake is easily pulled for cleaner porting.

Then there is the question of which TB, for 52 or 54mm the ONLY choice I would make is rebored stocker as they work better than almost all the aftermarket ones, but gthere is still the argument of since 58mm is easily accommodated why not go all the way to that. Or a stock intake can be opened up more to accommodate a 1300cfm monoblade, but that screws up the idle air distribution which is a hassle to resolve for a street car.

The best advise anyone can give you is to ask meaningful questions and LISTEN to thoughtful answers.

Just telling you a 52mm fits without modding the stock intake or that the stock casting can be slightly modified to accommodate a monoblade doesn't address that most of the aftermarket TBs need mods to work right, or that without adding 150hp+ a larger TB is of questionable benefit.
This.

I'm pushing 414rwhp through an untouched stock throttle body and intake. Focus on other parts first.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Just telling you a 52mm fits without modding the stock intake or that the stock casting can be slightly modified to accommodate a monoblade doesn't address that most o the aftermarket TBs need mods to work right, or that without adding 150hp+ a larger TB is of questionable benefit.
ok ok 96caprice you don't have get rude , I may be new on here but if I was so low minded to ask questions then do what I thought was cool anyway...! That'll just be stupid.! I might as well not have signed up. I'm not one of those show off kids, trying to fit in. Besides I was just asking so when I do get ready for other mods ill know what I want to do. Anyway thanx for the input... My car is not stock, I have exhaust done, CAI
The following users liked this post:
Jessemess (04-08-2021)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

I still don't understand your radiator support issue.
There is not a issue! I'm just dressing the car up!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hrcslam
This.

I'm pushing 414rwhp through an untouched stock throttle body and intake. Focus on other parts first.
Ok thanx that's all I wanted to know about the TB
Old 06-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 95TAVERT
I bought one from Summit it is polished stainless
Now you! You say you found one. I wanna know how because I was on the summit app, I typed "radiator panel & radiator support" for my firebird or camaro. Neither worked. I must've did something I'm guessing
Old 06-19-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is not a issue! I'm just dressing the car up!
That's why I asked, I thought you were talking about the entire radiator support, not the cover.

Here's one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-02-LS1-LT1-Polished-Stainless-Radiator-Support-/280415719025?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item414a144e71&vxp=mtr
Old 06-19-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

your title ? was

" what's the biggest mm throttle body i can put on a stock LT1 intake ", which I answered.

You got further comments including from 96caprice. His points are true regarding the benefit of a larger TB on a basically stock car (your CIA and exhaust don't warrant a larger TB). Albeit some comments may sound harsh just understand if you do decide to go larger TB you will need to have the PCM re-programed regarding transmission line pressure or tranny failure will follow.

My $02, beyond just your initial ? is you will see no "performance" benefit with a stock motor. heads/cam, more CI, headers than they start to become of "performance" value. I would wait until performance mods are done before just putting one on. My $02
The following users liked this post:
Jessemess (04-08-2021)
Old 06-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
OP

your title ? was

" what's the biggest mm throttle body i can put on a stock LT1 intake ", which I answered.

You got further comments including from 96caprice. His points are true regarding the benefit of a larger TB on a basically stock car (your CIA and exhaust don't warrant a larger TB). Albeit some comments may sound harsh just understand if you do decide to go larger TB you will need to have the PCM re-programed regarding transmission line pressure or tranny failure will follow.

My $02, beyond just your initial ? is you will see no "performance" benefit with a stock motor. heads/cam, more CI, headers than they startto become of "performance" value. I would wait until performance mods are done before just putting on on. My $02
I'm now putting a bigger tb on.. what you all have said has made since. Thanx for answers everyone, ill save the dough! lol especially since its good for so much Moore hp
Old 06-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

That's why I asked, I thought you were talking about the entire radiator support, not the cover.

Here's one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-02-LS1-LT1-Polished-Stainless-Radiator-Support-/280415719025?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item414a144e71&vxp=mtr
Aw dude thanx Allot !!!! Finally found one.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:30 PM

Default New

Was reading this forum. I just tried putting a 58 mm tb even honed my intake and now I have back firing and have not noticed a increase in hp or response time. I am running stock lt1 bored 30 over that I got from summit. with headers and 36 lbs injectors exhaust and msd ignition before I do anything else I will wait for advice. Luckily I have a 52 mm spare intake lol

Quick Reply: what's the biggest mm throttle body i can put on a stock LT1 intake