LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hard Start LT1 with SES- Runs Fine

Old 07-03-2014, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Start LT1 with SES- Runs Fine

New problem here looking for places to look. Its a 94Z with bolt ons, 503, all supporting mods etc. Fuel pump is new, less than 300 miles on it, installed last summer. Opti isn't very old, AC unit with probably 5000 miles on it.

Onto the problem: Took the car out for breakfast one sunday and all was well. Came out and the car cranked and cranked and cranked, which is very unusual for the car, I ordinarily dont even hear the starter it just fires. I got the car running and saw the SES light with the accompanying fans.

Brought the car home and attempted to restart it when warm and got the same exact symptoms. Cranks and cranks. I tried to read the code with my OBD1 cable and FreeScan but due to some odd issue I cannot get FreeScan to display any values. The status window runs wild yet I get no data from the car. Weird.

The car starts the same almost every time. That said, say it takes the car 10 seconds of pure cranking to start, after shutting it down and starting again it takes pretty much the same amount of time. Priming it by repeatedly turning the key without starting it doesn't help at all. Putting your foot to the floor doesn't help at all either. In lieu of figuring out what is wrong with my scanning capabilities. Car also appears to run great as well.

Let me know what you think. And if youve had the problem with FreeScan like I have please let me know! I hate that I can be this close to figuring it out myself but cant because of my scanning issue.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try reading the codes with Scan9495 and see if that'll do it. Need to see those codes.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Thats that new program right? I downloaded that and tried it and had similar symptoms. It appeared as though it was connecting and reading but wouldnt show values. I updated the drive for the cable too. I dont know what else I can do. I have tried 3 different laptops too.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Are you running it in Windows XP (SP2) compatibility mode?

You might have a bad cable.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Yes I am running in compatibility mode for XP Sp2.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

I think your cable went bad then. Do you have access to another cable?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

This may not be it but a area to look. For the last four years my car would have a extended crank after sitting a few days weeks etc. Thought it was the check valve in the pump bleeding fuel out. Had proper pressure when running ,wot etc.. Nvr any codes. Fast forward 4yrs and one day the opti striked , car died pulling into my driveway. Replaced the opti and no more extended crank.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

I don't have another cable that I could use, damn. I was worried about the opti thing too. Seems to easy to scream opti but its always an option it seems.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Too often the Opti is wrongfully blamed. The Opti is problamatic because of it's design location, but it's more reliable then led to believe. Like the 4L60e and the 7.5 10 bolt. Sure they aren't nearly the best design or application, but they are stronger than most people led on.

Not saying it's not the opti, but sounds like it's not. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time. LOL.

Do you have a fuel pressure tester? I'd say check for fuel pressure (you know you're getting it, but is it enough?).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard Start LT1 with SES- Runs Fine