LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dropping engine right now and brake lines won't budge

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping engine right now and brake lines won't budge

Front lines to ABS won't break loose at all. Using a flare wrench and it still wants to strip. I used some PB on it also. Any advice?
Old 08-02-2014, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat it some with a propane torch.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the same thing the other night. Nuts were starting to strip, so I switched to a vice grip and they cracked loose. Make sure you clamp it tight the first time or you may round them off.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Is it alright to put a torch on these? They are the ones directly connected to the ABS unit.

I already tried with the vice grip. Had it as tight as I felt comfortable with, but it felt like it was going to round out. I'll try a little tighter. Appreciate the advice.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I used a vice grip like this one that grabs the flats of the nut. It has to be tight enough not to slip, but not so tight to crush the nut. I always try to "pop" the wrench to break flared fittings free. A constant tug often leads to stripping.

If manageable, you could also try clamping your flare nut wrench on the nut. Sometimes flare nut wrenches like to open up a little with stress.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

I bought some vise grips like yours and still can't break either free. It's almost like the shop that dropped it last used loctite. Any other ideas? These are getting more and more rounded. Even used regular vise grips to dig in and thought I was going to rip the abs module off
Old 08-03-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing that ever worked for me that wont damage the nut is a modded flare nut wrench. Heat the end up with a torch and squeeze the two fingers together so it fits the flare nut very snug. I have had to tap the wrench onto the flare nut. Then for added measure, clamp the wrench end with a Bubba pair of vice grips. Finally, crack it loose with ease and not scar the flare nut.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I second SHBOX's recommendation of tapping on the wrench/vise grips. Whenever possible I try to add a little heat and some tapping to momentarily "shock" the fitting you are working on. It's similar to using an impact gun. Keep slight constant torque on the wrench all while tapping on the wrench with a metallic hammer. Rubber mallet/dead blows don't seem to work as well since they absorb some of the energy.

Quick Reply: Dropping engine right now and brake lines won't budge