LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anybody used the cats pro tuner obdi 1 (help)

Old 09-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody used the cats pro tuner obdi 1 (help)

Hi I just the cats pro tuner kit and I am lost. The problem is I have a 95z/28 and when I plugged it in it comes up as a 94 trans am from candida . So I goto change the vin# to mine and it won't let me .. Did I miss something god I hope this isn't something stupid that I didn't see? Thank you for your time guys.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you got the car used, someone might have swapped PCMs. And all the cars were from manufactured in Canada (I've never noticed that when using Tunercat, but I may have a different version).
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The PCM's for 94 to 95 are the same IIRC. I wouldn't even worry about the VIN in the PCM.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Teching In

It's not the vin that's the problem really . I put all the info in like tire size , 4.10 gears and I tried changing shift rpm and wot trans pressure. I drove it and no change at all . I didn't get any instruction with it at all just a disc and all the cables . I am wondering if I haft to register it to my laptop before it will actually let me make changes .. I registered it with the id and # that was on the disk is there another step I didn't do?
Old 09-07-2014, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Let me know how it works. I'm going to dyno tune mine once I get my engine all together. But that's what I would do, I would put it on the Dyno while I was tuning.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

From the PM's.

Originally Posted by speed2b
Originally Posted by hrcslam
Originally Posted by speed2b

Thank you for your help . I bought the the kit with everything from tuner cats it came with a registration # I put it in and it worked but it won't let me put vin in. All I got with it was a disk and all the cables no instruction and on top of that I have windows 7 that was a pain but I got it. Did you have to Email them to get a deff registration # to make it work ?
You shouldn't have to put in any VIN info. TunerCATS will tune all 94-95 F-bodies with just that one registration number. It doesn't care about the VIN. Can you adjust the tune and reload it?
It lets me do all the adjustments but when I drive it it makes no changes .
Make sure you have the original tune saved before you make any adjustments. Do this by selecting Tools, then select Read PCM and follow the steps the pop ups tell you. Once it has successfully read the PCM and you can read all the tables, go to File, select Save As, and save it as your "Original Tune". I suggest you also e-mail it to yourself, this way you will always have a copy in your e-mail. If you do lose it, I have one for a 1995 Auto and a 1994 Manual.

O.k, after you make your changes, go to File, then Save As. Save the new file with a new name, like "Tune1". Then go to Tools, select program PCM. Another window will pop up, when it does, make sure the ALDL is hooked up to the car, that the key has been on for at least 10 seconds, your battery has a good charge, and the engine is off. Make sure the lights and AC are off. In the popped up window follow the buttons to continue. It will take 5-10 minutes and when it's done it'll let you know. After it's completed, select o.k, then turn the car off, then start it. The new tune should be loaded now.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Ok I will try that and let you know what happens . Thank you a lot for your help I'm sure it will work I just needed a push in the right direction .
Old 09-07-2014, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Hrcslam, is the cat tuner is as great as they say? I got the Dyno shop here in hawaii who said I can use the Dyno to tune my car. I was wondering if the cat tuner was worth the coins?
Old 09-07-2014, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CapoThDon
Hrcslam, is the cat tuner is as great as they say? I got the Dyno shop here in hawaii who said I can use the Dyno to tune my car. I was wondering if the cat tuner was worth the coins?
Odds are the dyno shop will not have the program necessary to tune your car.

I use TunerCATS only for loading my tunes and calibrating my speedometer. That's it. For everything else I use Tuner PRO RT (free). The Dyno tuner will prefer Tuner PRO RT over TunerCATS too because it's much closer to the new stuff that most cars they tune use. TunerCATS is all you'll need to tune your car, if you buy their kit. But, Tuner PRO RT is easier to tune with because of the graphing and click and drag capabilities.

Remind your Dyno Tuner that the 1994 PCM will NOT emulate or "Live Tune". They have to do the pull, read the log, make the changes, save the changes, then load the tune. Lather, rinse, repeat. Every time they make a change, they have to save the tune and load the tune. No exceptions. It takes forever, but for the 1994-1995 cars this is the only way.

What part of Hawaii you in? I have a brother in Waianae and my Sister lives in Mililani (I was born and raised there).
Old 09-08-2014, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

I'm in the military... Schofield barracks. So you should be familiar with snyders machine shop. Right across the way they have a tuner shop. He said that he does not have the software to tune my Firehawk, but I can bring my own and he will do it. I have had great success with Dyno tuning and that is the only way I want to tune it.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CapoThDon
I'm in the military... Schofield barracks. So you should be familiar with snyders machine shop. Right across the way they have a tuner shop. He said that he does not have the software to tune my Firehawk, but I can bring my own and he will do it. I have had great success with Dyno tuning and that is the only way I want to tune it.
I'm not familiar with Snyders. All the car work I did in Hawaii was before I joined the Army (in 2000) and left Hawaii. Back then I was all carb and points. Not so much anymore.

It's good you got the Autoshop too. I heard they shut down the salvage yard though. Is that true? It's supposed be near the Auto Shop.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure it is. The salvage yards here suck super bad. I been to them all
Old 09-08-2014, 04:00 AM
Teching In

x2 on not worrying about the VIN. Im running a 96 Camaro with a 94 t/a from canada PCM. There are lots of different tables. Where are you looking to be for shift points? You may need to raise your shift speed to be able to hit the desired shift rpm.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dannyac500
x2 on not worrying about the VIN. Im running a 96 Camaro with a 94 t/a from canada PCM. There are lots of different tables. Where are you looking to be for shift points? You may need to raise your shift speed to be able to hit the desired shift rpm.
Yea the problem is when it shifts it should be at 6400 but mine bounces off the rev limiter then it will slip going into gear only at w.o.t if you shift with your foot at 1/2 inch off the floor it shift hard like it should i do have a shift kit so it will spin like hell 1,2,3 but every since I put the 4.10 gear in it it has shifted like that and that sux because my 1/8 mile mph is only 89 to 91 and if I could shift at wot it would be a lot better . I had people say set it 6100 and it will shift wot the PCM is to slow or something like that.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the PCM is slow. Bring the Shift MPH down to where the actual shift is where you want it to be.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Check your rev limiter setting and make sure they are a few hundred above the desired shift point. Set the shift points to like 5400-5500 and it should shift where you want. You can move them up as nessicary. Like hrcslam said the PCM is very slow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody used the cats pro tuner obdi 1 (help)