LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

24x questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24x questions!!!

I don't know much about 24x, so I will ask. The obvious is that 24x on a lt1 would be more dependable, and reliable then opti spark... Opti spark sucks, yeah I got it. What does 24x add over opti spark? Price comparison between a next to bullet proof opti spark unit, and a total 24x build? I'm not seeing it worth the trouble and coin; especially since I'm doing a 400 to 500ish hp build...
Old 09-08-2014, 05:00 AM
Teching In

I will be the first to say I hate doing plugs,plug wires, new opti. But as long as you always look every time you open the hood if your water pump isn't leaking opti does great . I went with the MSD opti and coil.and no problem been two years that's just my opinion although I would love to have coil packs
Old 09-08-2014, 05:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Optispark system really gets a worse rap than it's actual reliability. A lot of these Opti's have been going for over 20 years!

What makes them get a bad rap are three fold.

First, they have a specific name. Think about how many distributors, cam sensors, phasers, crank shaft sensors, etc. etc. etc. have failed on cars only 5 years old. None of those have a specific name to em, Optispark does, and they are LTx specific which are a short run motor. No one thinks twice about a cam sensor replacement. But hell be warned the Opti quits.

Second is when they do finally go people will cheap out and get some imported crap. OEM Opti's far exceed the quality and reliability of all other Opti's on the market. Even MSD doesn't hold a candle to a reman AC Delco or Delphi unit. Are they without their problems? Are any distributor/cam position sensors?....

Third, it get's blamed seemingly the first chance people get. Engine sputter's? It's the Opti. Car won't start? It's the Opti. Hard Start? It's the Opti. No Spark? It's the Opti. Runs like crap when hot? It's the Opti. Seems almost too automatic. Then people pay $500 for an Opti and it doesn't fix the problem.

That being said, the 24x is a superior system. It's processor is multitudes faster and it isn't limited in RPM's like the Stock PCM is at 7,000 (which limits cam choices for some of us). It puts the LSx PCM on an LT1. The best part about it is that Dyno Tuners actually have the programs to tune the LSx computer. While many are dropping the LT1 altogether.

Last edited by hrcslam; 09-08-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

24x is leaps and bounds better than a old LT1 system. Its really not up for question. Its a question of whether you need it or can justify its cost.

400-500hp build to me sounds like a mild 383ci with heads/cam and bolt ons, nothing a mail order guy couldn't get pretty close with a LT1 PCM.

Otherwise, the 24x system does give you a replacement harness (lets not forget how old these cars are) and the ability to have a quality HPtuner/EFIlive tune. That, the ability to spin it to the moon, live tuning, +2bar tunes, launch control, 4/7 swap, two steps, etc etc etc.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

I want to know a total cost of one? Cause I'm seeing upwards to 2000.00?
Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, if you're willing to get your hands dirty and go hunting...

Junkyard 411 PCM with connectors $15
Junkyard coils $40
Junkyard timing cover $15 if you want a single roller chain
Plug wires... around $85 new if I remember correctly
Pick up random pigtails/harnesses at the yard for a few bucks and repin yours.
After that you're going to need EFI's kit which you could probably pick up used for a few hundred.

It's a lot of work but will save you a ton of cash if done right. Not for those who aren't mechanically inclined.

Quick Reply: 24x questions!!!