LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Who all makes monoblades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Who all makes monoblades?

As the title states, is it just AS&M or are there others? Pros and cons of each? I'm brainstorming for a future build and am considering one. Someone school me on these.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkySS
As the title states, is it just AS&M or are there others? Pros and cons of each? I'm brainstorming for a future build and am considering one. Someone school me on these.
I wouldn't use one unless a single plane was also included the plan, and a motor that would need a single plane intake.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure TPIS still makes one also. I can't remember off the top of my head but someone also makes a DBW monoblade but obviously there is more to it than just bolton and go. They certainly make tuning harder and gains are usually 0-10hp depending on how my hp and RPM you're using. Advanced induction has said they've made improvements with them but have also had cars make no additional power.

Not that my opinion is worth anything, lol, but unless you're really making stupid numbers it's probably going to be overkill. 99.999% of our cars are just fine with a 58mm. Plus they are pretty cheap used compared to a new monoblade and there aren't many used monoblades floating around. I have used one before and it was a little rough getting the car to idle right but I did get it square. Probably anything under 600hp is not worth even trying. Past that...still a maybe as far as most are concerned.

I hope I didn't rain on your parade it's just usually better not to fool with them.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

the car is currently making 502 rwhp with a lightly ported 58mm. Sometime down the road, the heads and intake will be ported even further and it will be getting a custom ground cam to match. My head porter wants to shoot for 600rwhp on motor. I don't see that happening. I'm thinking around 550 rwhp. But if i can see gains from going to a monoblade, that would be the time to do it since he's already porting the intake. It will be getting a shot of nitrous at some point. I'm thinking 200-250, not that it matters
Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkySS
the car is currently making 502 rwhp with a lightly ported 58mm. Sometime down the road, the heads and intake will be ported even further and it will be getting a custom ground cam to match. My head porter wants to shoot for 600rwhp on motor. I don't see that happening. I'm thinking around 550 rwhp. But if i can see gains from going to a monoblade, that would be the time to do it since he's already porting the intake. It will be getting a shot of nitrous at some point. I'm thinking 200-250, not that it matters
What PCM are you running?

A 58mm TB flow ~ 1050CFM, a 396 maxing out the PCM limits (assuming an awesome 110% VE) would draw in 882 CFM. To exceed 1050 CFM (again assuming 110% VE, which would be asinine at those RPMs on anything that could be street driven) on a 396 you'd need 8500RPM's. The stock LT1 PCM can't do this. And you'll need a SP intake too.

That'd be a killer motor though. For your targets, maybe a SP, Monoblade, and 24x is what you'll need.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Still on a factory PCM. I see your point. 58mm it is.

Quick Reply: Who all makes monoblades?