LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Honest Opinions on What My Car Is Worth

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Honest Opinions on What My Car Is Worth

Hey guys,

I've been thinking of selling my Z28. Want some inputs and some help and honest opinions. Reason for selling, I rarely drive the car and I don't enjoy like I should. I really always wanted a 6 speed but bought the car when I didn't know how to drive one.

Make - Chevy
Model - Camaro
Sub Model - Z28
Color - Black
Interior - Black with leather
Transmission - Auto
Miles - 75,550

Side notes - Fully loaded, power everything, t-tops with OEM sun-shades, JVC headset with Sirus ready and MP3 plug in. Sub-frame connectors, strut tower brace, brand new NT05r's (less then 200 miles on them), premium wheels (SS chrome 10 spokes), custom dash plaque, never smoked in, drank in or eaten in. Never seen snow in my possession and rain only twice since I've owned in. 5% limo tint professionally done, cold air intake, off-road y-pipe, long tube headers with all hookups, all maintenance records, all general maintenance done at regular and concise intervals.

Minor touch-ups to front bumper, had a scrap when I bought it so I decided to get a whole new OEM bumper and have it completely and professional repaired, paid for it all out of my own pocket. Also had the driver side some nicks in it so I paid for that all out of pocket to have it professional repaired and fixed (was a bit of paint not structural damage done). Paintless dent repair to rear quarter panel passenger side - had a dent when I bought it, done professionally. Also has new water pump gasket, recently flushed coolant and tire patch done (bead was broke). New OEM opti spark, NGK iridium plugs, MSD 8.5 wires, custom made shift ****, custom made rear camaro chrome inserts, custom made Z28 chrome emblems, chrome fuse box cover and chrome radiator support over, custom made throttle body cover plate and chrome oil fill cap. Brand new alignment done, brakes bleed, tranny fluid done with new filter.

Things that would come with car:

1.) Comp Cams magnum studs (new in box)
2.) Comp Cams Hi-Tech pushrods ("" "")
3.) Ratech 4111 solid pinion spacer ("" "")
4.) Richmond Ultimate Mega gear install kit ("" "")
5.) 3 quarts royal purple rear end gear oil ("" "")
6.) TA performance girdle cover ("" "")
7.) Ta performance main stud bearing cap kit ("" "")
8.) GM limited slip additive ("" "")
9.) Motive High Performance 3:73 gears for thick gear ("" "")
10.) Rear bucket seats (took out once bought, only had one passenger with me at a time)
11.) Rear back seat rest (same reason as number 10 above)
12.) Original visors (replaced with original OEM as the spring in my driver's side was broke)
13.) All original paper work for all work done, all dated note cards of maintenance performed (I have a whole binder of material with everything)
14.) Car cover
15.) All original parts that were either fixed or upgraded
16.) All car show trophies and paper work (all professionally taken pictures of car)
17.) All original radio and dash material
18.) Custom shorty antenna

Back story on my car: I bought the car sight unseen from Ohio and had the owner drive it in to Nebraska. I did not have to buy the car as that was left to what I thought when I seen it in person. I bought the car back in 2006/2007 at age 17 with 68,200; always wanted the 1997 Camaro Z28 and I got every option I wanted. I truly love this car and it's really in pristine condition but I just don't have the time for it anymore and want to keep it in as original condition as possible (that is why I haven't done a 6 speed swap).

I was thinking of opening the price at 9,000$ but I honestly think around $11,000 would be a great price for the car as it sits right now. I know I might be shooting for the moon but I feel the amount of TLC, amount of proper paperwork and all the additions that come with the car, makes this a great price.

Any inputs, ideas etc?

Last edited by blk97z28; 09-29-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brand new idle sensor installed by GM dealer. Also ceramic coated calipers with clear coated custom emblems, new pads and turned rotors. New heat wrapping on fuel lines for protection from y-pipe, new fuel line heat while headers were out.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you actually want to sell, cut your dream number in half. Guys have sat on just as nice cars for years at $10k with impressive time slips to prove how good the car was mechanically.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Leave it at 11k for the winter months, then see how many bites you get come spring.

I would imagine you won't get more than 8k assuming you find a good buyer.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If you actually want to sell, cut your dream number in half. Guys have sat on just as nice cars for years at $10k with impressive time slips to prove how good the car was mechanically.
Thanks for being honest I guess the reality is that now. Paid $8,900 when I bought in way back in 2006. I appericate your input and thanks for talking the time to read my thread. Never even did a 1/4th mile in it, done have any places around here.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Leave it at 11k for the winter months, then see how many bites you get come spring.

I would imagine you won't get more than 8k assuming you find a good buyer.
I did an ebay pricing a while back like in 2009 and got some bites up to 9-9.5k but at that time I was just feeling it out. I know most would sell for 5k-6k if I want to sell. However I look at what I'm including and that gear package alone was almost 800$, tires were $600 (including alignment, mounting, balance and brakes done). I guess I should just keep it and do the swap, I've seen some say about 3k can get you a really good built T-56?
Old 09-29-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

96 is correct, no matter how nice it looks, for one its an LT, everyone wants the LS, Performance mods add little to none and at time take away from the price..You will either have to bite the bullet and take a big loss or keep it..
Old 09-29-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's worth maybe 5-6 grand if the paint and interior are at least 9/10... max....It's not like it's a special edition, 6spd, or has a ton of HP ($$$ dumped in it), and the minor bolt ons actually detract value unfortunately. People will just buy a clean LS at 6-7K+ IMHO. Also, I would just sell the parts separately, not everyone wants a bunch of random parts if they aren't mechanically inclined or has the same ideas for the car you did.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

It all depends on where you live, but I couldn't see it fetching more than 6k in my area not including all of the spare parts. There's much less demand for the a4 cars and mods will scare away average buyers because they give the impression that the car has been flogged. Then you're left with a bunch of low ball offers from countless mullets.

If you really want a 6 speed car then de-modify your Z, sell it, and buy an M6 car to put the parts on.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I just sold a very clean stock 80k mile 6 speed formula for $3900, I'm sorry to say but you have an auto, and there's no way you'll get over $5000.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought my 96 SS from the original owner with 65k miles 6 months ago for $6,000. It is in excellent shape with only a few scuffs on the bumpers with all documentation. You might need to aim a little lower to move it.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
I bought my 96 SS from the original owner with 65k miles 6 months ago for $6,000. It is in excellent shape with only a few scuffs on the bumpers with all documentation. You might need to aim a little lower to move it.
Supply and demand. Lots of supply. Very little demand.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pretty much. It is a buyer's market for 4th gen F-bodies right now. I bought what I liked for what I wanted to pay. They aren't meant to make me money down the road as that isn't why I bought either of them.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

The LTs mean it won't pass emissions, yet it doesn't have enough performance mods to attract a buyer who wouldn't care, so lowering your audience decreases value. The new nitto tires are just new tires, they would be worth the same as kumhos, except they are actually worth less since they can't be driven all year. The A4 in a sports car is just seen as a slush box that nobody wants. New wheels, waterpump, maintenece items do not add ANY value. The extra parts that go with it are worthless, because such a small amount of buyers know what those parts are or how to install them, sell them separately. On top of all of that, you can find pretty clean m6 ls1s for 7-9k, and auto ls1s for 5-6k. I think if you listed it for $4000 it would still take a while to sell.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
The LTs mean it won't pass emissions, yet it doesn't have enough performance mods to attract a buyer who wouldn't care, so lowering your audience decreases value. The new nitto tires are just new tires, they would be worth the same as kumhos, except they are actually worth less since they can't be driven all year. The A4 in a sports car is just seen as a slush box that nobody wants. New wheels, waterpump, maintenece items do not add ANY value. The extra parts that go with it are worthless, because such a small amount of buyers know what those parts are or how to install them, sell them separately. On top of all of that, you can find pretty clean m6 ls1s for 7-9k, and auto ls1s for 5-6k. I think if you listed it for $4000 it would still take a while to sell.
Thanks for the honest replies, ya to be honest that is taking a 5,000$ loss and really not worth it to me. I might as well just mod the **** out of it and grab a m6 ls1 and just have both for that kind of money. Again was just getting a feel for the price, I was torn between modding it more or selling it. And I guess in the long run; cheaper would be just to own one of each. Thanks guys.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
Nice deal on that 96 SS!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:48 AM
12 Second Club

It just is what it is. Nobody would ever choose an ltx over an lsx except someone in their 40s looking to rebuild the car they had as a teen, and they would want a stock one. The fast ltx guys now bought their ltx in 94-00 when ls1s were too expensive and got attached to them and kept modding. Ramair95TA has a 10 second, 455rwhp fully built clean daily driveable reliable car for sale for $9000 for the past 2 years, and he has over 30k in that car probably, and no bites. You can't get a loan for $10,000 for a 20 year old car, and someone with over $6000 cash is going to buy an ls1. Right now, it's not worth it to sell a modded ltx, might as well either keep modding it or just let it sit and hope someday the value rises, which it probably won't unless the aftermarket gets on board.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed, it sucks but its the market. Yours is lower miles, but I still couldnt see you getting more then 5k on a very good day. Better off keeping it and enjoying it.

And ramairs TA is a perfect example of how bad the market it. His is also one of the best buys around for lt1s and he can't get rid of the damn thing.

For example. I paid $2400 for my car years ago with 140k on it, with a just rebuilt trans
Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blk97z28
Thanks for the honest replies, ya to be honest that is taking a 5,000$ loss and really not worth it to me. I might as well just mod the **** out of it and grab a m6 ls1 and just have both for that kind of money. Again was just getting a feel for the price, I was torn between modding it more or selling it. And I guess in the long run; cheaper would be just to own one of each. Thanks guys.
That's what I did, bought a clean 6spd LS car and have left it alone mod wise as semi-daily driver (worth more that way, more reliable, and it's already pretty fast compared to most LT1's) ...then dumped a lot of mods and money into the LT1 car for those days something wilder/faster/louder is in order! The way I look at it, the LT1 car will never be worth anywhere near what I value it to anyone else; so I'll just mod it to exactly what I want and hold on to it and enjoy it.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

10k for a 20 year old car that is not a unique model (e.g. SS) will never happen. Taking a 5k loss is no fun, but if you don't have to sell, keep it and enjoy it and move on. I've had ls1/lt1 some more ls1 etc. You still have to spend money to go faster no matter which platform you are on.

My best guess is 5-6k for it.

Quick Reply: Need Honest Opinions on What My Car Is Worth