LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 camaro igntion related problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 94 camaro igntion related problem?

ok well ive tried every LT1/camaro site you can name except this one...Here is how it all began. One day i was going down the street and the car felt like it was going to cut off on me(as in i felt a kinda slug in the throttle response) as i came to a stop the car shut off on me...this has happend 2 other times before so i tried to restart it and it would not start up. Before it died, the car made a bog to a popping noise. tried to restart it and the car tried to start but then bogged out as if it wasent getting enough fuel? The first thing i do is get it home and inspect it and post on the camaro forums. people told me that it was the optispark, so i went out and bought a brand new optispark and put it in. (no wires are mismatched and i did not force it in.) so im thinking its going to start and it dosent, the car makes this like sneezing sound coming from somewhere under the hood(i believe the intake not 100% sure of this). so i now go and bring to a shop that has the tools to figure out whats wrong with it. He tested compression, Fuel and spark and im getting all 3. so i take it home and do some more research and i then go out and buy an ignition lock cylinder and here i am waiting for it to come in. I noticed that the old igniton lock cylinder is perfectly fine the little white wires arent cut at all so i doubt this is the problem....i have an appointment for the dealership next thursday but i really dont want to take it there...$$$$$$. im willing to do just about anything to get this car going plz help.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:14 AM
Staging Lane

you could try testing the coil and ICM if you haven't already. have you tried looking on shbox.com ?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by MedicinalCreamDogs
you could try testing the coil and ICM if you haven't already. have you tried looking on shbox.com ?
i know the problem is ignition related of some sort...i have already bought and isntalled a brand new coil and icm, brand new ignition switch also, only thing that is left is the lock cylinder, but i doubt its my problem and what should i be looking for on shbox?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

or fuel pump

nvm. just read it says you're getting fuel
Old 10-10-2014, 06:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

What do your guages do when it dies? Loose battery cable? Loose or bad opti harness? Just because you have spark doesn't mean it's timed right, do you have fuel at the injectors if you pull one and crank it so the injector sprays in a bucket or cup? What's your fuel pressure? The older these cars get you have to start looking at frayed or damaged wires.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:25 PM

the shop checked the fuel pressure so i know its not the fuel pump it read at normal levels. my gauges like die out and flash.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94camarored
the shop checked the fuel pressure so i know its not the fuel pump it read at normal levels. my gauges like die out and flash.
Are all the wires TIGHT at the starter? Also, I believe there's a ground point for the wiring harness that bolts to the motor mount bolt. You could give that a look..

Also, is the battery good?
Old 10-10-2014, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Are all the wires TIGHT at the starter? Also, I believe there's a ground point for the wiring harness that bolts to the motor mount bolt. You could give that a look..

Also, is the battery good?
yes they are tight, i also bought a brand new starter solenoid and checked alernator and battery is brand new. this ground for the wiring harness do u have a picture of what your talking about? also could a bad ground not make it start? i have the ignition cylinder off and the copper clips that touch the wire were not how they were in pictures that i looked up(as in the copper piece wasent fulley touching the igniton lock cylinder where the white wires are.)
Old 10-11-2014, 02:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94camarored
i know the problem is ignition related of some sort...i have already bought and isntalled a brand new coil and icm, brand new ignition switch also, only thing that is left is the lock cylinder, but i doubt its my problem and what should i be looking for on shbox?
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...rt-diagnostic/

these may help you in your predicament(s)
Old 10-11-2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by MedicinalCreamDogs
thanks for the info i just finished up doing those test and now installing the ignition cylinder. i believe i had a bad ground from the igniton lock cylinder hence causing my car to having long crank starts and then soon there after crapping the bed.. i installed a new lock cylinder and i can already see the difference. the fuel pump is primming differently than before and there is a noticeable difference where the white plastic piece with the copper ground metal is. i noticed that there was a piece missing on the igniton lock cylinder, which i believe is why i am having a no start condition. Hence with further diagnoisis i will know, i first need to go get a new key made and try to start it. hopefully this is the anwser.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:35 AM

forgot to add that the old ignition lock cylinder turned all the way back, while this new one dosent seem to do that.. the key could also be wiggled a bit. i would also have to crank the car 2-3 times for about 3-5 sec for the car to start.

Quick Reply: 94 camaro igntion related problem?