LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bought a 96 LT1 about a month ago take a look

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 96 LT1 about a month ago take a look

Confused here, shouldn't there be the same line as on the left running to here?

Fiber glass hood

I'm thinking this is wind shield wiper fluid line? Could be wrong but...

As of now I have no boost gauge, is this the spot where you would attach it to?

Pearlecsent paint

Flowmaster?

So there it is, what I know it has is a paxton supercharger, it's said to be a 383 stroker 6.28L, mild cam, 700r4 built tranny, 15" mickey thompson drag radials on back, and some tune which I have no idea what tune exactly.

So the problem is this thing is not running anywhere near as fast as it should be, so far I've had to fix a leaking housing seal it was leaking tranny fluid, and a small lower hose by the radiator also leaking tranny fluid. And a small exhaust leak from a broken weld.

If you rev this car above 4, sometimes it will backfire and shoot black smoke which I of course link to it not burning all the fuel right.... And with current hood on it, you can see fumes or "heat" I still think it's fumes coming from the engine bay, my friend says it's normal but I call BS. And the smell of gas is very prevalent when you have the windows down. So I think there's something wrong up there. Especially since I'm barely beating cars that I should beat in a landslide. This car was like stock 5.2 or 5.5 secs 0 to 60 if I remember right, so with the upgrades it has I'm hoping it would be under 5 seconds 0 to 60. And I really hope that it makes over 400 HP, I'd be pissed if it's not over 400 HP.

So guys anything you can help me out with would be great, I'm just in need of some advice of how to get this thing running like it should be again. I really need to install a boost gauge, it will be my next thing to do obviously but ya this has been frustrating as the car should be much faster than it is.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

And I'm not seeing where my air filter is, I'm guessing it's down lower by the procharger? Blind as crap lmao.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

do you know what converter and gears it has in it? if they're stock that might explain a slow 0-60. also check the PCV valve, might be the cause of your smelling gas issue
Old 11-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MedicinalCreamDogs
do you know what converter and gears it has in it? if they're stock that might explain a slow 0-60. also check the PCV valve, might be the cause of your smelling gas issue
No idea on converter and gears, some guy from cali made this car to obviously street race it, I doubt he would of left those stock with the upgrades he did.

And do you have a picture of where the PCV valve is on these cars?
Old 11-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

shbox.com is quite the resource, bookmark it
Old 11-09-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the car would need a aftermarket tun to run right. It likely does if it runs at all.

you need to fix the exhaust leak as it is causing the PCM to dump fuel.

I see the air check valves are stll on the car but not attached tot he headers. Those edelbrocks are 50 state smog legal but for some 96 cars GM issued a TSB disableing (not removing) air pump.

the one fuel line feeds both rails by the crossover plne going across the intake manifold

car this modded needs first to be mechanically sound and then a good tune to run right

I suspect it has larger injectors and possible outboard fuel pump to feed that SC.

I know one "calif" 96 with a SC and it ran 13's so if it is not set up right it can run like crap. bolt on LT1 can run 13's all day long. A 383 H/C SC should be deep into 12's if not 11's set up right with all "supporting" mods
Old 11-09-2014, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would try and find a real tuner and get the goofy extra injectors crap off there, that is halfassed C.A.R.B. Crap from the guy trying to mod Cali legal. If the guy really tried to keep it legal it might just be a turd because of that.
CARB approval is the only good thing about the edelbrock headers.

Might try and find a knowledgable local and buy him lots of beer to look the car over very thoroughly and figure out what you have.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Theres so many variables about that engine that you dont know. Its hard to know what the bottom end is capable of without knowing exactly what parts are in there. You may have a cast crank, which will fail if you push the hp too far. I would get some long tubes, some properly sized injectors, and a real tune, and see where that takes you. But first, Id fix the exhaust leak, and put it on the dyno or on a track to see where you are now.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ew-96-z28.html

Why make another thread...?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

There is not an exhaust leak anymore, that was already fixed. But it smells like gas and it seems to be from up front.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MedicinalCreamDogs

shbox.com is quite the resource, bookmark it
Thanks I'll take a look at it :o
Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I would try and find a real tuner and get the goofy extra injectors crap off there, that is halfassed C.A.R.B. Crap from the guy trying to mod Cali legal. If the guy really tried to keep it legal it might just be a turd because of that.
CARB approval is the only good thing about the edelbrock headers.

Might try and find a knowledgable local and buy him lots of beer to look the car over very thoroughly and figure out what you have.
I may have my uncle take a look, but he hates chevy so I have a feeling he won't. (Major Mopar fan)

https://www.karlperformance.com/
Karl is a local dealer, and they have a performance shop I may take it to them what do you think?
Old 11-14-2014, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

You need an LT1 enthusiast and a knowledgable one at that.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly if this was my car I would have torn the whole thing apart and scrapped that outdated fuel system, centri, and ignition system and started over. That thing seems like a headache waiting to happen. One reason I don't buy modded cars. I do it myself.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

All depends on who was doing the modding. The cut/weld job on the muffler, stock looking injectors, and vfn cowl says a lot about the previous owner. If it's a 383 then there's an extremely high probability that the crank is a cast timebomb.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Like said, you only have the sellers word that its a 383 and if it truly has forged internals, I would treat it like stock, make no more than say around 5-6 lbs and get a good tune and stick with it. With stock injectors its surely not making much HP.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

The injectors in the stupid plate behind the TB look stock but the ones in the intake do not look stock.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Launching!

The injector plate behind the throttle body is called a Superfueler and was sold along with the Paxton SC kits. The superfueler was made by a company called Carroll Supercharging. They are still available and sold by http://www.blowerworks.net

They have worked great for allot of cars but yours is likely an older unit that should be inspected for leaks and overall operation.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

It was a halfassed hack to make offering a C.A.R.B. approved kit easier since the stock injectors could be reused.
Just because it was or is still offered has NOTHING to do with if it is a good idea.

Quick Reply: Bought a 96 LT1 about a month ago take a look