LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water pump was leaking, anything to check for on the opti?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 03:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Water pump was leaking, anything to check for on the opti?

My water pump started leaking on my 92 Corvette. Before I discovered this, I was getting some random bucking while taking off hard from a stop. Didn't do it all the time and I didn't get any codes, but I bet it was getting moisture inside it.

Since I have it torn down now, I was wondering if I should inspect the opti, and what should I be looking for if I do?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely pull it off and inspect it. Pull off the cap and check for moisture. I would honestly just replace the cap and rotor while you're at it. MSD makes a vented cap for the 92-94 Optis. Loctite the rotor screws too.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

beyond just taking off rotor & cap....disassemble the Opti if there are any signs of oil or coolant inside it and clean it out. Just sit down at a table and carefully clean it

ditto on the MSD cap/rotor that is vented for the earlier style non vented Optis

oil can also get inside opti from TC seal leaks also

as it did in pics below....but all went well cleaning it and a new MSD cap/rotor
Attached Thumbnails Water pump was leaking, anything to check for on the opti?-opti-oil-1.jpg   Water pump was leaking, anything to check for on the opti?-opti-oil-sensor-2.jpg   Water pump was leaking, anything to check for on the opti?-opti-oil-sensor.jpg  
Old 12-05-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Took it apart, didn't see anything interesting, looks fairly new, with 212K on the car, I somehow don't think it's original. I don't have time to wait on an MSD cap and I will be damned before I pay $200 for a cap/rotor from autozone. Fired up and it's running smooth. Thanks for the info guys.

Quick Reply: Water pump was leaking, anything to check for on the opti?