LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weird issue with my 1996 Trans Am, no power

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Weird issue with my 1996 Trans Am, no power

Hey guys, I have a 1996 Trans AM WS-6

I have been looking around for a bit and I can't find a direct answer. This issue just started happening to me on Saturday. When I put my key in, the dash lights flicker on and off, sometimes they dont go on and I have no power to anything. Other times it runs fine, this morning I put my key in, nothing happen for a bit. I came back to it 15 minutes later, everything worked fine. I don't know, thought it could be my key, tried my spare and it still does it. Weird thing is that, it had never done this until Saturday, after I detailed it. I had used a vacuum which runs off the cigarette lighter, I dont know if this effected something.

This is my introduction thread, by the way:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/introduct...l#post18574710
Old 12-16-2014, 08:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I would check the battery terminals, you may have some corrosion there or on the wire ends. Or it maybe time for a new battery all together, but i would start with the cables since it seems to be intermittent.

I had a similar issue when i put a stereo in my firebird, one of the main leads going into the positive terminal was not connected as well as the others and in switched ignition was fine but when i tried to start it all you could hear was relays clicking. By the time i figured it out that particular cable had corroded back into the rubber shielding. Ended up doing the big 3 mod after that and never looked back
Old 12-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I would check the battery terminals, you may have some corrosion there or on the wire ends. Or it maybe time for a new battery all together, but i would start with the cables since it seems to be intermittent.

I had a similar issue when i put a stereo in my firebird, one of the main leads going into the positive terminal was not connected as well as the others and in switched ignition was fine but when i tried to start it all you could hear was relays clicking. By the time i figured it out that particular cable had corroded back into the rubber shielding. Ended up doing the big 3 mod after that and never looked back
thanks for the information, I checked the battery terminals but I will do it again, my car has a new yellow top optima battery, so it cant be that, I will tighten down the bolts which hold ths cables to the side of the battery
Old 12-16-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

not only that peal back the the rubber on the terminal where all 3 wire meet, check and make sure there is no corrosion there.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
not only that peal back the the rubber on the terminal where all 3 wire meet, check and make sure there is no corrosion there.
I will take a look at that to, man I need lunch to come soon!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:03 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

You'll do better here in LT1ville.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:42 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Check the power dist. block as well (red box on passenger fender). The ignition switch is notorious for failing especially since these cars are older. You need to save this page on your favorites if you haven't already: www.shbox.com

Here's a link from that page describing your possible problem:

http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html
Old 12-17-2014, 05:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Welcome to LS1tech!

You'll do better here in LT1ville.
Haha thanks for the greeting! I have my introduction above, check out my ride!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Check the power dist. block as well (red box on passenger fender). The ignition switch is notorious for failing especially since these cars are older. You need to save this page on your favorites if you haven't already: www.shbox.com

Here's a link from that page describing your possible problem.

http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html
Thanks for the information, I did check the red box, no corrosion and it looked fine. I did hear about the ingnition being an issue, my battery terminals were very very slightly loose, I tighten it more. Crossing my fingers it was something dumb, everything has been ok since then.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:33 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your security light on?
Old 12-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT1
Is your security light on?
Nope, thankfully the problem went away for now, if it comes back, it would be the ingnition switch.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like an ignition switch, I bought my car for 800$ cause the owner thought it was the ECU or ignition switch, I tried replacing the cheaper, easier part first, being the ignition switch. It fired up after I replaced it. Look for burnt dark brownish marks on the ignition switch when you take it out. Fairly simple task, be ready for some PITA connectors to undo. I recommend going to Oreilys and getting the Delco brand switch, only 3$ more than knock off brand.

Quick Reply: Weird issue with my 1996 Trans Am, no power