LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Whats the correct flexplate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the correct flexplate?

Hi guys, I'm looking to replace my flexplate as its making a bit of noise (cracked) however I've been getting alot of conflicting information as to what is the correct flexplate to buy. I don't mind upgrading anything while I'm down there, but nothing crazy. I just need a stock replacement, but OEM from the dealer is nothing short of robbery, are there any aftermarket products for what I need? if there are any upgrades I can make, what are they? and what do you suggest? -HomeSchool
Old 12-27-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is not a lot of upgrades you can do in that area without putting in some money for it. prolly the only thing you can do is check your rear main seal and make sure its not leaking or just replace it just to make sure it doesn't start later on. they are only a couple of $$ and check you bearings too. if you have a manual trany check your clutch and flex plate. other than that not a lot you can upgrade. as far as your flexplate there are two types and it depends on your crankshaft. LT1 have an "externally balanced crank" so just make sure you get a flexplate that is for a externally balanced crankshaft.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

TCI makes a nice heavy duty flex plate for the LT1
Old 12-29-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
TCI makes a nice heavy duty flex plate for the LT1
Yes, and it's P/N 399173. I installed one in my car, and it works well, except I had to place a shim between the block and starter after installing it, as it's OD must be a trifle larger than the OE flexplate.

Quick Reply: Whats the correct flexplate?