LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water pump drive shaft and the works

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump drive shaft and the works

Hey guys. I'm looking for a little advice. I've got to replace the water pump drive shaft for sure and maybe some other parts and I was hoping to find out where people are buying their parts.

I for sure need the drive shaft because the splines are all worn out. (I read something about a special tool too...??)
I need the new seal that goes in the timing chain cover.
I figured I should replace the timing chain set while I have it open.
Currently the coupler is stuck on the back of the WP and soaking in some pb blaster but if I need to get one of those where should I look?

Is there anything I forgot/don't know about that I should be looking for as well. Besides gaskets. I want to do this job right but at the same time not spend more than I have to. I look around at rock auto but I was hoping for some extra insight.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the drive gear for the WP requires the timing cover to come off to replace. To remove timing cover you need to drop oil pan at the front. If the splines of the drive gear were not damages than you just need to replace the coupler between the wp drive gear spline & WP. The dealer, I believe, is the only place to get that coupler. maybe places like gmpartsdirect.com also.

FelPro makes a front timing cover gasket for around $12 that will have all the seals & gaskets you need for TC available at most auto part stores

Pulling timing cover, especially with motor in car, is a big job so confirm first that your wp drive spline is good by looking at t
Old 03-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Personal preference is to just buy an EWP. I just installed my electric water pump and it works like a dream. Also our water pumps are cam driven so it essentially takes a small amount of load off of the cam. Cost of the EWP install was around 300$ with new gaskets and o rings.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the WP off and the splines are for sure worn down. I hadn't considered installing an EWP but if I did that I would still have to take the timing cover off and remove the gear of the shaft correct?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

No, WP drive gear can just stay. I have had a EWP for 16 years & 85k mi

If your WP drive spline is striped, go EWP. Much simpler vs taking timing cover off

Meziere EWP..I believe www.innovativewiring.com makes the EWP relay/wiring for the F-body.

There should be several write-ups on search in this forum
Old 03-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks ****** for your help. I researched the pumps last night and that is definitely the route I am going to go.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

does not look like Gary @ Innovative does F-body but you can check with him.

I used this site as a install guide back when I did mine but the pics are no longer on it. There should be several "how to wire it" threads on this forum though

http://www.ws6.com/kelley-wp.htm
Old 03-25-2015, 08:08 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I thought you also had to take the intake off in order to drive the shaft out since it's a press fit?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

You have to pull the water pump, not the intake, to remove the pressed in water pump spine shaft. The Meziere EWP comes with a freeze plug to seal up the hole.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

I did this job last year and am very happy with the Meziere EWP. I did replace the WP shaft seal in the timing chain cover at the same time since it was leaking - Seal is an easy replace with the water pump off. Can be replaced with the timing cover staying in place - just do some searches on this site - lots of step-by-step pictures.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Status update. EWP in and running. Install around the fan shroud was a pain but definitely a worth while upgrade. Car runs perfectly and has no over heating issues which is what originally started this whole investigation. Thanks to all the help and input.

Quick Reply: Water pump drive shaft and the works