LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need help with misfire/backfire when warm

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with misfire/backfire when warm

I recently had the heater core hose snapped at the restrictor and sprayed coolant everywhere. well after replacing the entire assembly the car runs horribly. after running for about 15mins and warms up it starts to get a small misfire and the longer it runs the worse it gets and if you give it gas it stumbles or backfires. I tried to drive it but as soon as I threw it in gear it died once I started it back up it backfired loudly and drove fine for about a minute but then flooded itself out. when you try to start it after its warm it struggles to start but when it does it kicks back on the starter and stays at high rpm about 1700 for a few seconds then drops down.
Everything replaced:
about a week old ac delco coil
new icm
year old delco opti
plugs have about 40,000 miles
have autolite plug wires with about 6000 miles
I put a used cts in the water pump but with no difference in how it performed
my 02's have been unplugged for about 4 months now because of my headers and ran perfectly fine with them unplugged
Mods:
Longtube headers/ y-pipe no cat
moroso cai
smooth intake elbow
tb bypass
air pump delete egr block off (I know I need a tune for everything)
it kinda reminds me like the car goes into closed loop when it warms up but it shouldn't since the 02 are unplugged but I don't know that why im asking lol
sorry for the long post but im stumped at this point and don't know where to go any help will be appreciated
Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hagff95
I recently had the heater core hose snapped at the restrictor and sprayed coolant everywhere. well after replacing the entire assembly the car runs horribly. after running for about 15mins and warms up it starts to get a small misfire and the longer it runs the worse it gets and if you give it gas it stumbles or backfires. I tried to drive it but as soon as I threw it in gear it died once I started it back up it backfired loudly and drove fine for about a minute but then flooded itself out. when you try to start it after its warm it struggles to start but when it does it kicks back on the starter and stays at high rpm about 1700 for a few seconds then drops down.
Everything replaced:
about a week old ac delco coil
new icm
year old delco opti
plugs have about 40,000 miles
have autolite plug wires with about 6000 miles
I put a used cts in the water pump but with no difference in how it performed
my 02's have been unplugged for about 4 months now because of my headers and ran perfectly fine with them unplugged
Mods:
Longtube headers/ y-pipe no cat
moroso cai
smooth intake elbow
tb bypass
air pump delete egr block off (I know I need a tune for everything)
it kinda reminds me like the car goes into closed loop when it warms up but it shouldn't since the 02 are unplugged but I don't know that why im asking lol
sorry for the long post but im stumped at this point and don't know where to go any help will be appreciated
Try checking the wires with a ohm meter check for a open circuit. Some nds like you have a bad wire
Old 03-30-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opti's don't like water/coolant/oil...maybe it got some coolant in it and needs to dry out? It's pretty common to have these types of issues after someone power washes a LT1...
Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

that's my worst fear at this point would be the opti it would be my 3rd in 2 years. I plan on taking it somewhere or just order a cable myself and log it while its running to see what happens but if I get to inpatient ill just start ohm meter and check everything. ive replaced many things on this car and im getting sick of it but once I find out what is wrong ill post back so you all can give me some insight on it

Quick Reply: need help with misfire/backfire when warm