LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 sputtering/misfiring/bogging on high rpms at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 sputtering/misfiring/bogging on high rpms at WOT

hey guys i have a 95 transam auto with pacesetter long tube headers, full exhaust no cats intake gears and two days ago i was doing some passes and everything was perfect i did some passes last night and when the car would reach high rpms is will fell all bouncy and like sputter almost like a misfire which is really and complicated to explain i have an idea on what it might be but want to hear opinions and answers from people who might have had this issue before. i forgot to mention no check engine light on one the pass when it started to do that the check engine turned on for about 1 sec and went away. i am planning on changing spark plugs maybe one is fouled, wires, coil maybe its not throwing enough spark on high rpms, fuel filter, feel injectors maybe one is clogged, O2 sensor?? hopefully someone can help thanks
Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing I would do is pop the hood at night while its running in almost darkness as possible. Since you have headers, I would lean towards a burnt plug wire. At night in as much darkness as possible, you will be able to look for wires arching. This obviously isn't the best way to check, but definately the easiest.

Next I would look at the plugs. First you need to make sure you know how to read a plug and look for any irregularities on specific cylinders. This will let you know what is going on, and if this issue is a cylinder specific one or a general condition.

If after this you still have not found the culprit, you should begin looking into the coil, icm, opti, and fuel system. Typically in my experience though most high rpm misfires are attributed to the plugs and wires.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I remember I had the same issue before and I went nuts looking for the issue I replaced almost everything I replaced the opti coil maf map iat iac tps O2s plugs wires so I didnt know which was the issue im going to check out the plugs and wires iv been abusing it alot and had a HUGE backfire I run ngk br7ef plugs
Old 03-31-2015, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugs were my issue with high rpm stutters. Like said before check wires then plugs

Quick Reply: Lt1 sputtering/misfiring/bogging on high rpms at WOT