LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1994 Z/28 rebuild, any tips and advise is welcome

Old 11-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Z/28 rebuild, any tips and advise is welcome

Hi everyone,
about year ago bought this 94' Z as a donor car for my 95' T/A, it had a t-56 and vortech v1, i wanted. also busted opti,fuel pump and few rusty places,
i decided instead of taking part of it , fix the car and maybe build a race car out of it,it was a hardtop and allready made a big mistake and convert it to T-Top

so far i striped car all down to fix rust, i'm planing to put few upgrades as listed below
- subframe connectors
- 10 point roll cage
- handlig package from summit
- repaint inside car and engine compartment

as engine upgrade, it allready got v1 supercharger, but everything else seems to be stock, i would like to make +500rwhp, i have to add i'll use stock heads it will get ported
since i never build a motor myself would appricate any tips, advise and information about camshaft, rods, cr nad displacment 350, 355, 383 or higher?
and also might in future put spray on it, what should i consider on my boosted setup for spraying,
I thank you guys all in advance and looking forward to hear some tips and tricks

Old 11-12-2017, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

That looks like a fun project! Main question I always ask is what is the car going to be used for and what your budget?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28jimmy
That looks like a fun project! Main question I always ask is what is the car going to be used for and what your budget?
Hey Jimmy,
its going be a autocross car,
i mainly put budget on suspension and chassis upgrade,
and i hope to get forged rods and pistons, injectors, in tank fuel pump, get a port job on heads and intake, headers, TB,intercooler and keep it around $3000 for parts, i led to believe stock crank is good for ~500rwhp
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nader_gmr
Hey Jimmy,
its going be a autocross car,
i mainly put budget on suspension and chassis upgrade,
and i hope to get forged rods and pistons, injectors, in tank fuel pump, get a port job on heads and intake, headers, TB,intercooler and keep it around $3000 for parts, i led to believe stock crank is good for ~500rwhp
Have you added the parts up that you are going to need? When you say suspension what do you mean exactly? You could easily sorry 2k on an upgraded suspension. I'm going to be honest.. from what you have listed you are going to need a bigger budget things like fluids an gaskets add up very quickly.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28jimmy
Have you added the parts up that you are going to need? When you say suspension what do you mean exactly? You could easily sorry 2k on an upgraded suspension. I'm going to be honest.. from what you have listed you are going to need a bigger budget things like fluids an gaskets add up very quickly.
thanks Jimmy for your honestly, that's the reason i made this topic , to get advise and info so make better decisions, with suspension i meant coil overs, adj torque arm, torque bars, sway bars, adj lower and upper ctrl arms and etc.. that all with import taxes to Europe gonna cost me about 5k, beside that i got around 3k te spend on engine parts, on that bases i need help with engine parts
Old 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

With the limited 3k budget and your location (part availability) building 500 RWHP is the bigger challenge. 400ish RWHP would be something to consider

Assuming you have a good machine shop to prep the block the most cost effective would be go 355 and use the stock crank (polish or re-grind), get stock rods resized with ARP fasteners and buy new .030 over pistons. SRP are good for your budget. Your compression ratio for a SC build needs to be considered and block decked accordingly with your piston selection so your quench is ideally 35. So you see you need to figure all this out before you buy the parts as the block machining will need to accommodate.

While shipping will be a factor contact Lloyd Elliott at Elliott Portworks to port your heads and grind a custom cam suited for your SC build. Heads and cam are where the power is made. It may be cheaper depending on shipping costs to Texas to send your stock heads for Lloyd to provide a used set he then works. You just need to find out what shipping to Texas cost you vs Lloyd providing donor heads. It may be a wash on $. You would also need to send the intake so it can be port matched to the heads. Your stock intake can take a 52mm TB. Your stock one is 48mm. If you intend to run a 58mm TB than you will need the intake machined to do that. You could "carefully" do that yourself but Lloyd can easily do it if sending to him anyway

Headers will help considerably over stock exhaust manifolds

A PCM tune is required. IDK what tuning you have available over there but a "mail" order tune could be done/

If this is a 6 speed car a stock clutch will not last long. Assume $500 for something "decent". SPEC 3+ would be something to look into

Gaskets, seals, fluids...they all add up

The SC will want larger injectors and likely a external fuel pump in conjunction with your in tank one

so you see I think we passed $3k awhile back...
Old 11-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
With the limited 3k budget and your location (part availability) building 500 RWHP is the bigger challenge. 400ish RWHP would be something to consider

Assuming you have a good machine shop to prep the block the most cost effective would be go 355 and use the stock crank (polish or re-grind), get stock rods resized with ARP fasteners and buy new .030 over pistons. SRP are good for your budget. Your compression ratio for a SC build needs to be considered and block decked accordingly with your piston selection so your quench is ideally 35. So you see you need to figure all this out before you buy the parts as the block machining will need to accommodate.

While shipping will be a factor contact Lloyd Elliott at Elliott Portworks to port your heads and grind a custom cam suited for your SC build. Heads and cam are where the power is made. It may be cheaper depending on shipping costs to Texas to send your stock heads for Lloyd to provide a used set he then works. You just need to find out what shipping to Texas cost you vs Lloyd providing donor heads. It may be a wash on $. You would also need to send the intake so it can be port matched to the heads. Your stock intake can take a 52mm TB. Your stock one is 48mm. If you intend to run a 58mm TB than you will need the intake machined to do that. You could "carefully" do that yourself but Lloyd can easily do it if sending to him anyway

Headers will help considerably over stock exhaust manifolds

A PCM tune is required. IDK what tuning you have available over there but a "mail" order tune could be done/

If this is a 6 speed car a stock clutch will not last long. Assume $500 for something "decent". SPEC 3+ would be something to look into

Gaskets, seals, fluids...they all add up

The SC will want larger injectors and likely a external fuel pump in conjunction with your in tank one

so you see I think we passed $3k awhile back...
thanks brother for information
clearly i'm not gonna make 500ish with my budget
i'll do more research for milder setup for my budget

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 Z/28 rebuild, any tips and advise is welcome