LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Building a Turbo LT1

Old 05-24-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
There are plenty. silver_82 just for example is running a bone stock 5.3. Stock heads and all, and he's pushing over 1,000 RWHP mark and running 8 second quarter mile times. Don't think it's reliable? He races most weekends, and he is not going through blocks.
Of course the S10 race truck gets brought up in a 5.3 discussion lol.

His build is impressive...but while last I checked he is stock shortblock, he has ported heads, a cam, head studs, aftermarket EFI, and tons of custom parts in a tube chassis. Not a bone stock 5.3 longblock, and not what I would call a junkyard build. Also build is aptly called "The Grenade", and last I heard he was hitting a stock block with like 20psi lmao.

Amazing build, but its far from the junkyard 5.3 ebay turbo build everyone talks about.

Stock longblock would be stock heads and cam as well as stock shortblock.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Puck
Of course the S10 race truck gets brought up in a 5.3 discussion lol.

His build is impressive...but while last I checked he is stock shortblock, he has ported heads, a cam, head studs, aftermarket EFI, and tons of custom parts in a tube chassis. Not a bone stock 5.3 longblock, and not what I would call a junkyard build. Also build is aptly called "The Grenade", and last I heard he was hitting a stock block with like 20psi lmao.

Amazing build, but its far from the junkyard 5.3 ebay turbo build everyone talks about.

Stock longblock would be stock heads and cam as well as stock shortblock.
It is a junkyard 5.3 (that's literally where he got it). As for the junkyard turbo, you were the one who brought that one into the mix, not me. I said cheap turbos like BW (which also happens to be what he is running). He is running stock heads last I knew, and I know he is still on the same old junkyard 5.3 he picked up a long time ago.

You say "you would bring up him". That's just what you asked me to do. To show you that HP level is attainable with cheap BW turbos and a junkyard 5.3.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
It is a junkyard 5.3 (that's literally where he got it). As for the junkyard turbo, you were the one who brought that one into the mix, not me. I said cheap turbos like BW (which also happens to be what he is running). He is running stock heads last I knew, and I know he is still on the same old junkyard 5.3 he picked up a long time ago.

You say "you would bring up him". That's just what you asked me to do. To show you that HP level is attainable with cheap BW turbos and a junkyard 5.3.
Pretty sure he is ported heads and cam. Sounds like semantics since it's crazy impressive either way, but to make it sound like its literally just a 5.3 with boost is a bit misleading

No worries, still a crazy build. I was lurking his first thread a few years back when I was contemplating a boosted 5.3 in an old RX7 for my father to play with as a cheap toy.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is still running stock heads. It literally is a junkyard 5.3 with boost. There are things he did not skimp on like a good fuel system and a solid tune, but it just goes to show that a cheap junkyard 5.3 with a cheap BW turbo can put down tons of power and run very fast times. That was the point I was making to the OP on that vs spending what would be needed to have that in an LT1.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Building a Turbo LT1