LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake Bolt Hole Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake Bolt Hole Problem

Having problems getting my intake bolt holes to line up. Putting on a fresh set of LE2 heads (milled .020"?) and LE ported intake. Running a .026" head gasket.

It seems like the flanges of the intake mate with the heads and block pretty close. I just can't seem to get some of the intake bolts started due to the holes not lining up.

Has anyone run into a similar situation? Do you think I can fix this by just elongating the holes a little with a carbide bit and dremmel?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Launching!

If the bolt holes are off that much so are the intake ports. Are you sure the intake is square on the heads? Is the clearance tight toward the intake or toward the heads? Any pictures?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Some bolts went in fine, others were tight, and some I could not even get started (maybe 2 or 3). It did not seem like there was any pattern to it. The ones on the corners especially the back ones went in fine. Had problems with some middle ones on each side. I believe the intake was sitting square.

The clearance was tight towards the intake (towards center of engine not towards headers).

When I get a chance to mess with it again, I will set the intake back on and take a real close look at everything just to make sure it is sitting good. I am guessing I can just elongate the holes a little, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone had any additional ideas.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When heads get milled, they are reducing material from the bottom of the head. This moves the head down towards the crank. On a V8 that means the distance between the intake ports and the mounting holes between both heads get closer together. Depending on how much material is removed is what determines how much closer they get. It's common to have to Re-angle or pull the mounting holes to get the mounting bolts to line up again. The biggest concern with this is port alignment between the intake and head.

If LE did the heads and intake, I'm sure they are matched already. You should only need to open up the mounting holes a little bit.

Having the block decked adds to this effect too.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If the package was done by LE you need to call them and let them handle it. Don't start defacing anything until you call first.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also you need to try to thread in the bolts without the intake installed to make sure that the threads of the bolts and the heads themselves aren't the issue.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:34 PM
Launching!

I have a set of LE2s that I'll probably be installing tomorrow. LE told me that I'll probably run into this issue as well because the heads were milled. He also suggested that I use offset dowel pins to move the heads back towards the intake. LE said that when I install the intake to make sure that the bolts line up correctly without force. He said if there is resistance, elongate the intake bolt holes with a dremel.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:44 AM

It's common to have to Re-angle or pull the mounting holes to get the mounting bolts to line up again.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Huntr1117
I have a set of LE2s that I'll probably be installing tomorrow. LE told me that I'll probably run into this issue as well because the heads were milled. He also suggested that I use offset dowel pins to move the heads back towards the intake. LE said that when I install the intake to make sure that the bolts line up correctly without force. He said if there is resistance, elongate the intake bolt holes with a dremel.
Cool, thanks for the info from Lloyd. I am going to give the dremmel a try and do a test fit with just the gaskets in place.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Just to add a little info. I got an email back from Lloyd. He said the quick fix is to elongate the holes and then put a skim coat of silicon on the gaskets just to help with sealing. The more involved fix is to mill all four flanges of the intake until the bolt holes line up. I am going to try the quick fix first and see what happens.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Casey96SS
Just to add a little info. I got an email back from Lloyd. He said the quick fix is to elongate the holes and then put a skim coat of silicon on the gaskets just to help with sealing. The more involved fix is to mill all four flanges of the intake until the bolt holes line up. I am going to try the quick fix first and see what happens.
I pulled my holes to line then up too. No issues.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:59 AM

I will set the intake back on and take a real close look at everything just to make sure it is sitting good.

Quick Reply: Intake Bolt Hole Problem