LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

'96 LT1 Impala, stutters at very light throttle, what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 06:49 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '96 LT1 Impala, stutters at very light throttle, what's wrong?

I changed the fuel filter thinking it was the problem, but didnt help. It does it when I barely give it gas. It also does it around 55 mph at light throttle. Any idea what it could be?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds a lot more like ignition than fuel to me. Check out everything starting at opti, going through the wires, and then plugs. If they're fine, check O2s.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

I had just posted a reply to this effect in the thread, "HELP"
I am also having this problem, I have put on new wires, plugs,Opti-junk, and ignition module and new MSD coil. The module behind the coil seemed to help alot. Take it off and take it to a parts store and they can check the high and low speed circuits. I still have just a little miss and some in that Help thread suggested that the EGR could be stuck, so today I am just going to eliminate mine and fabricate block-off plates. I know it won't set codes on mine, but you're OBD II, it might on yours.
He also suggested the AIR pump check valves, which is true, but rip that SOB off and toss it. If I get my prob fixed. I'll post it, and I hope you will to so if you find the problem before me, I can fix mine without spending another $800
Old 06-05-2004, 08:34 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well now that I think of it, I think the fuel filter eliminate the studder on the light throttle at 55 mph. But still, at idle when I barely give it gas, it does it. Also when the car is coasting in traffic and Im on the gas very little, it does it then. I dont really know how to explain the problem. Its like a hesitation or studder if you will. I dont know if that helps to narrow the problem down. I sure would hate to start replacing everything. The car only has 50k miles on it. What do you think?
Old 06-05-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Truthfully, I have the exact same problem and have been bashing my brain and spending alot of $$ to find this problem. The only part I have not gotten into yet in the fuel system, But I am only home on the weekends to work on it. I'm gonna start with a new pump, aftermarket, more lph for later hp upgrades. The filter I had done about 2 mths ago so that is good, my biggest guess is either my regulator or injectors. I have been working on LT1's for 10 years now and this has been my dead end. I'm stumped. I have to get it in to a friends shop to get it on the big computer to see whats going on.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have two cars here right now with that problem. both are getting an Opti, plugs and wires.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had already done all that + a new MSD coil, ign module, and TPS which was reading 93% got it now at 99% which is acceptable on LT1s
Old 06-08-2004, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club NA

The car is completely stock, has not had a tune up, but only has 50k miles on it. Theres not even an aftermarket air filter in the car, its COMPLETELY stock. I wouldnt think that I would have problems having only 50k miles on it, but I could be wrong. I hate to start dumping money into the car trying to fix the problem, I wish that I could boil it down to one thing that way Im not spending money here and there.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I would check for air leaks. Rip in the intake elbow, anywhere unmetered air might be getting in. Also check your EGR, my EGR tube broke off and caused a few lil problems. Clogged Cat, Opti, Bad Torque Converter, etc...LOTs of things to check. Good luck. In a sense, im glad my car is sitting without an engine. I have fewer problems now than I did when it was running. LOL
Old 06-08-2004, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem which ended up geting a lot worse and ended up being a cloged cat. It was only then when the problem was obvious because I pulled over to look under the hood and my manifolds were glowing red. You should be ok with that since you have a OBDII and I would think the SES light would go off if that was it. Other wise I would start with plugs wires then work your way up the igniton system.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

I have some bad news, but could be good if it is the problem. I got a check engine light last night and got it scanned today. PO0410-Secondary Air Injection System Failure. Do you think this is my problem? What exactly does this mean? Do I need to replace something? Anyway, like I said, it could be a good thing if it is the problem, but if not, then I now have another problem. What do you think? Thanks.

Quick Reply: '96 LT1 Impala, stutters at very light throttle, what's wrong?