LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Head Gasket?....Seems to be a common theme

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Head Gasket?....Seems to be a common theme

Unfortunately I am 200 miles away so I am limited to what the shop it is at is telling me. When I parked the car 4 years ago it was starting to have overheating issues. The car would quickly shoot up in temps which caused me to think it was either a Thermo or a Water Pump (not being to familiar with the LT1 waterpump at the time). I sent it to shop to get her running so I could bring her out to Ohio.

Guy gave her a good fluid change (oil, radiator flush, gear oil) and then attempted to diagnose. He stated he did not "think" that it was the water pump not sure how he made the diagnosis and that he replaced the thermostat. He then said it ran fine while they let it idle for a while. He then took it out back for the night. When they brought it in the next day to work on a few other things it started to overheat again. At that point he is now diagnosing it as a head gasket. Is there anything I should be telling him to look for besides that as he is not an LT1 mechanic? Also if not is it even worth bothering or should I put it back in storage and wait to do a motor rebuild?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He needs to explain how your WP was eliminated as the issue.....this sounds VERY FAMILIAR with the time my WP spline shaft was worn out and slipping causing overheating issues. If the WP has over 100K it probably needs replaced anyways as preventative maintenance. It's not that hard to replace really, I wouldn't pay anybody to do IMO as it's pretty straight forward and only takes an hour or two.

You would probably notice smoke/steam coming from the exhaust if you had a blown head gasket and have milky oil.

Is your radiator in good shape and not clogged?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ahritchie
He needs to explain how your WP was eliminated as the issue.....this sounds VERY FAMILIAR with the time my WP spline shaft was worn out and slipping causing overheating issues. If the WP has over 100K it probably needs replaced anyways as preventative maintenance. It's not that hard to replace really, I wouldn't pay anybody to do IMO as it's pretty straight forward and only takes an hour or two.

You would probably notice smoke/steam coming from the exhaust if you had a blown head gasket and have milky oil.

Is your radiator in good shape and not clogged?
Radiator was just flushed day of and he didn't mention any issues with it so I assume it is flowing well. I read the other guys post related to the WP and that was kind of news to me as I never heard of that issue but again I have really no experience with LT1 motors usually when I have heating issues its the thermostat and/or I just assume it is the waterpump replace and everything is fine.

Do you have any insight as to how I could direct him to what he needs to look for. I personally would be attempting this venture myself but unfortunately this was her maiden voyage to return her home so I am no where near the shop.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
Radiator was just flushed day of and he didn't mention any issues with it so I assume it is flowing well. I read the other guys post related to the WP and that was kind of news to me as I never heard of that issue but again I have really no experience with LT1 motors usually when I have heating issues its the thermostat and/or I just assume it is the waterpump replace and everything is fine.

Do you have any insight as to how I could direct him to what he needs to look for. I personally would be attempting this venture myself but unfortunately this was her maiden voyage to return her home so I am no where near the shop.
Read the other guy's thread with the same issue...he used a stethoscope and pulled the pump to diagnose.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ng-solved.html

Just hold old exactly is your WP?
Old 06-30-2015, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Read the other guy's thread with the same issue...he used a stethoscope and pulled the pump to diagnose.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ng-solved.html

Just hold old exactly is your WP?
I have owned the car 6 years never had issues with it. The car has around 70K miles so there is a good possibility that it might be the original equipment so ball park 20 years lol
Old 06-30-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
I have owned the car 6 years never had issues with it. The car has around 70K miles so there is a good possibility that it might be the original equipment so ball park 20 years lol
I thought you said you parked the car 4 years ago with the same overheating issues? It's had cooling issues 66% of the time you've owned it?!

Bottom line the WP needs to be eliminated as a problem, overheating is just one of the symptoms of a blown head gasket....even if it is the head gasket that's blown, how did the gasket get blown in the first place with just 70K?? (usually they are blown due to overheating) due to WP/cooling system problem...(the root of your issues more than likely).
Old 06-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Launching!

I thought you said you parked the car 4 years ago with the same overheating issues? It's had cooling issues 66% of the time you've owned it?!

Bottom line the WP needs to be eliminated as a problem, overheating is just one of the symptoms of a blown head gasket....even if it is the head gasket that's blown, how did the gasket get blown in the first place with just 70K?? (usually they are blown due to overheating) due to WP/cooling system problem...(the root of your issues more than likely).
I guess I could have been more clear. When I parked the car it was perfectly fine. Over some time of moving the car in and out of the garage it developed the issue. The only reason I stated that is that it might have seen 1-5 miles worth of time in 4 years it sat. I completely agree with your statement though as I would need further evidence of why it is a head gasket than just the fact that it is still getting hot after the thermostat.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This "mechanic" doesn't need to know the LT1 to diagnose an overheating issue honestly. If you start the car up from cold and the upper radiator hose is hard right away, that's a sign of a bad head gasket. Also, starting the car from cold and opening the radiator cap you should NOT see bubbles. There should be no exhaust smoke. If there is and it smells sweet, head gasket. He should be performing a leak down test.

If your car is doing none of that, then I think the waterpump is the culprit. My car sat for over a year before I bought it and was constantly over heating. Finally figured out the thermostat was stuck shut. But since yours was replaced, that can be eliminated.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
This "mechanic" doesn't need to know the LT1 to diagnose an overheating issue honestly. If you start the car up from cold and the upper radiator hose is hard right away, that's a sign of a bad head gasket. Also, starting the car from cold and opening the radiator cap you should NOT see bubbles. There should be no exhaust smoke. If there is and it smells sweet, head gasket. He should be performing a leak down test.

If your car is doing none of that, then I think the waterpump is the culprit. My car sat for over a year before I bought it and was constantly over heating. Finally figured out the thermostat was stuck shut. But since yours was replaced, that can be eliminated.
Agreed with all of this, also the thermostat could've been a non-LT1 stat. I'm not sure I'd trust this mechanic so I'd not eliminate the thermostat just yet.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Are the fans coming on? My old V6 had a bad relay that caused overheating.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket?....Seems to be a common theme