LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Early ls1 help??!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I still don't follow how he installed an 05 LT1 cam, was there even an LT1 at that point yet?
Old 08-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
My bad, I didn't realized the ecotec came in an f-body.......
How do you manage to strip a splined sleeve again? I find it fascinating how you cry that you are a victim when picked on, but will mouth off when given the opportunity. The f-body bro is strong in this one.

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
I still don't follow how he installed an 05 LT1 cam, was there even an LT1 at that point yet?
You, being the acronym king, should know how to decipher text. I am disappoint.

Last edited by SS RRR; 08-17-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 NIGHTMARE
Good morning, i have a 94 camaro ls1 issue. I'm a seasoned gm tech., and had a guy approach me with a box of go fast parts and asked if i'd install them. Being a motor head i said yes and dug in. He brought me a new performance cam, lifters, timing chain and gears, intake, throttle body, injectors, cap & rotor, plugs and wires. Since the installation the engine pings on moderate throttle pretty bad. Knock sensor counts climb, timing changes 20 degrees, still pings terrible. The cam he provided was for an 05' which has a differant distr. Drive dowel as opposed to the 94 distr. Being driven by the center of the cam sprocket (all the parts he supplied were for an 05', the timing chain and gear set was wrong, i found out after in installed them, i put a new set in for a 94'). I suspect the cam for the 05' cannot and will not work properly in this 94' engine due to a differance in timing....can anyone verify this??
I'm sure that I'm going to regret going here, given all of the previous "nonsense" being tossed back and forth in previous posts, but here goes.....

A) unless "transplanted", a '94 Camaro did not have an LS-1;
B) you mention "cap and rotor". That COULD mean an Opti-Spark distributor, which definitely means the engine is an LT-1, NOT and LS-1, since the LS-1 was "coil on plug"....no cap and rotor;
C) as far as I know, an LS-1 cam won't physically fit into an earlier SBC block, but even if it does, I seem to think that the firing order is different, hence the "difference in timing";
D) the "timing set" for an LS-1 is FAR different than one for the LT-1. The LT-1 cam drive gear also drives the "jackshaft" for the water pump, the LS-1 does not.

Flame suit on......

Ecotech, Iron Duke.....they're both 4 bangers, right???
Old 08-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Originally Posted by SS RRR
The f-body bro is strong in this one. How do you manage to strip a splined sleeve again?

You, being the acronym king, should know how to decipher text. I am disappoint.
And you, master troll, should know how to decipher sarcasm.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Village Troll

And you, master troll, should know how to decipher sarcasm.
Always a sucker for man-crush.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Early ls1 help??!!!!

How do you manage to strip a splined sleeve again? I find it fascinating how you cry that you are a victim when picked on, but will mouth off when given the opportunity. The f-body bro is strong in this one.You, being the acronym king, should know how to decipher text. I am disappoint.
Here you are again with the personal attacks. You really do get butt hurt when a little contrast to your opinion is made don't you?

BTW, how much experience do you have with spline drive outside of the LT1 water pump? I'm leaning towards none. Otherwise you wouldn't keep bringing that up, all it does is point out your ignorance to the matter.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:42 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Smart asses don't think he made a couple of typos, do ya?
Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Here you are again with the personal attacks. You really do get butt hurt when a little contrast to your opinion is made don't you?

BTW, how much experience do you have with spline drive outside of the LT1 water pump? I'm leaning towards none. Otherwise you wouldn't keep bringing that up, all it does is point out your ignorance to the matter.
Splines suck, that is all.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you substitute 95 for 05 the OP's question makes sense, ls1 reference not withstanding. However anybody that has come in contact with a LT1 in a professional context would certainly remember it. I suppose with say 5 years under your belt you could say you were 'seasoned' but going back that would still be 13 years after the last LT1 was made. I'm sure dealers don't see many Red Headed step childs these days.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah they do. They outlast belts, but suck to work on when they do wear out.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by guppymech
If you substitute 95 for 05 the OP's question makes sense, ls1 reference not withstanding. However anybody that has come in contact with a LT1 in a professional context would certainly remember it. I suppose with say 5 years under your belt you could say you were 'seasoned' but going back that would still be 13 years after the last LT1 was made. I'm sure dealers don't see many Red Headed step childs these days.
Yes, minus the timing issue (it wouldn't run with the 95 cam sprocket, but with the 94 it should do just fine).

Maybe it just needs a tune. Some parts specs or part numbers would help us figure out if pulling 20° of timing and pinging is to be expected......
Old 08-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Village Troll

Let me dumb it down for you. You are willing to mouth off about the OP yet then cry that libel statements are being made towards you when you get picked on, and you want to say I'm butt hurt?
I'll sell you my splined sleeve which has over 100k miles on it for about tree fiddy. Deal?
Old 08-17-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Let me dumb it down for you. You are willing to mouth off about the OP yet then cry that libel statements are being made towards you when you get picked on, and you want to say I'm butt hurt?
I'll sell you my splined sleeve which has over 100k miles on it for about tree fiddy. Deal?
Again, get your facts straight. You asked a question as to why YOUR boiz were hazing the OP. I answered your question. You have a problem with it. So bad that you are still bringing up the spline issue from a different thread in an attempt to insult me. A spline issue that I wrote about to HELP others out. But you seem to have the opinion that those last forever........ "Let me dumb it down for you" THAT is the ignorance I referenced earlier with your insistence on using the spline drive as an attempted insult on me.

Now you want to bring libel into it, let's first know what that means mmkay. I didn't once misrepresent or misinterpret or otherwise change what the OP said or intended to say. Guys in the other thread did that to me, see the difference?

Look at you attacking ME for something your bros said. How pathetic.

Last edited by hrcslam; 08-18-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Village Troll

Again, get your facts straight.
My facts are straight. You are trying to say the OP isn't competent. Instead of asking questions you jump on the bandwagon and once again successfully argue yourself in circles.
Know you want to bring libel into it, let's first know what that means mmkay. I didn't once misrepresent or misinterpret or otherwise change what the OP said or intended to say. Guys in the other thread did that to me, see the difference?
So every time it is brought up you are incompetent to maintain a splined sleeve you are going to go into this long diatribe of ridiculousness? Yeah, no butt hurt there!

Ah! Sarcasm! I'm finally getting it!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

My facts are straight. You are trying to say the OP isn't competent.
Are you putting words in my mouth again? What did I actually say, not what did you think I meant? Your assumptions are amusing though.

For clarification, what I'm saying is I'm not sure what the OP is trying to say exactly as the information provided is lacking and wrong in multiple parts. There is nothing anyone here can do to help the OP (even with assuming LS1 is LT1 and cap and rotor is the Opti), as he did manage to get it all assembled but is having running issues. Without the rest of the parts specs or numbers we can't help him figure it out any further than he already is.

But, I do UNDERSTAND why others are hazing him.

Instead of asking questions you jump on the bandwagon and once again successfully argue yourself in circles.
The only person going in circles here is you with your repetitive spline sleeve envy.

So every time it is brought up you are incompetent to maintain a splined sleeve you are going to go into this long diatribe of ridiculousness? Yeah, no butt hurt there!
See? Circles.

You know, coming from you (someone I routinely see attacking others, like my self in this thread among others), I find it interesting you are acting so proud about this moment you are having; a moment of hypocrisy. Sounds personal.

Last edited by hrcslam; 08-17-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Smart asses don't think he made a couple of typos, do ya?
At LEAST a couple.....

But that, of course, skews the entire post. BTW, where is the OP?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

SSRR likes to hold onto stuff, dont let it bother you.

He still thinks I camp out in the left lane doing 10mph under the speed limit because I dont believe in speeding. It doesnt even warrant a response any more lol. Thats just his "thing"
Old 08-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Village Troll

Are you putting words in my mouth again?... For clarification, what I'm saying is I'm not sure what the OP is trying to say exactly as the information provided is lacking and wrong in multiple parts.
Has nothing to do with the LT1 not being named. It has to do with "seasoned GM tech" not knowing the difference between an LT1 and LS1. That alone makes this hard to take seriously.
GM techs (especially the seasoned ones) I know can glance at an LT1 and knows it's not an LS1. That is very very very easy to do. Not understanding the quirks of an LTx is one thing. Not knowing an LTx from an LSx is another.

It's like not knowing an Iron Duke from an Ecotec, there's a pretty big difference between the two just by looking at them. It's not even close. That's a rookie mistake from a "seasoned GM tech".
My bad, I didn't realized the ecotec came in an f-body.......
There is you mouthing off in saying you believe the OP is not competent. No added words. When it's turned around on you then you get all defensive and wordy and circular. Keep trying to back peddle and save face...
Old 08-17-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

There is you mouthing off in saying you believe the OP is not competent. No added words. When it's turned around on you then you get all defensive and wordy and circular. Keep trying to back peddle and save face...
There's a difference between ignorant and competent. Google it.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Village Troll

There's a difference between ignorant and competent. Google it.
So, according to you, even if the OP is "ignorant" he should not be taken seriously... Here comes that infinite curve on save face avenue...

Quick Reply: Early ls1 help??!!!!