LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New corvette buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

And a c5 has better access? Lol.

My best solution is to build a 383 lt1 with advanced induction or Lloyd Elliot parts, make it a torque beast. Then use a stock c6 for daily driving!

I do have to retract a c4 looking more aggressive. A frc c5 to me looks the best. Any c4 on fiske wheels looks better then a c5 coupe to me.

That car with 400-450 to the wheels would get driven by me over a c5.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Try for the C5 over any LS swapped C4. The chassis and...well pretty much everything is better in the C5 than the C4.

Not worth the time and money to swap LS swap a C4 if you can wait a little longer to get a C5.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
And a c5 has better access? Lol.

My best solution is to build a 383 lt1 with advanced induction or Lloyd Elliot parts, make it a torque beast. Then use a stock c6 for daily driving!

I do have to retract a c4 looking more aggressive. A frc c5 to me looks the best. Any c4 on fiske wheels looks better then a c5 coupe to me.

That car with 400-450 to the wheels would get driven by me over a c5.
A C5 has easier access to stuff like the water pump. I am looking into building a proper engine for mine, was going to LSx swap, but that was too much trouble.

I prefer the C4 looks to the C5, and I also prefer the base C5 looks to the FRC/Z06. The C4 is cleaner looking.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

most of the chassis problems you will find with a C4 happen with the top removed. The cowl shudder and flex. They do make braces to correct this that mount under the car. With the top on the car isnt bad, now days you are fighting worn suspension parts and bushings more then bad engineering.

https://www.vette2vette.com/?q=produ...r-bar-system-5

They also make targa braces that you can bolt in with the targa off to correct the issue as well.

Why dont you go drive them both and see which you like? worry about the engine later. You seem to be to worried about the lt1, its not very problematic like people claim, there are also tons with 200-300k miles on them.

The c4 is the first car ive owned in a long time that I hope to keep around for awhile and Its a 85% daily driver.

The c5 definitely gets more respect. Most people view the c4 as the mid 80's garbage. I was thinking the other day it would be cool to throw a mitsubishi evo motor in one with like 500hp haha. Save weight, get better fuel economy too!
Old 11-08-2015, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most of the chassis problems you will find with a C4 happen with the top removed. The cowl shudder and flex. They do make braces to correct this that mount under the car. With the top on the car isnt bad, now days you are fighting worn suspension parts and bushings more then bad engineering.

https://www.vette2vette.com/?q=produ...r-bar-system-5

They also make targa braces that you can bolt in with the targa off to correct the issue as well.

Why dont you go drive them both and see which you like? worry about the engine later. You seem to be to worried about the lt1, its not very problematic like people claim, there are also tons with 200-300k miles on them.

The c4 is the first car ive owned in a long time that I hope to keep around for awhile and Its a 85% daily driver.

The c5 definitely gets more respect. Most people view the c4 as the mid 80's garbage. I was thinking the other day it would be cool to throw a mitsubishi evo motor in one with like 500hp haha. Save weight, get better fuel economy too!
Mitsubishi Evo engine swapped Corvette? Better fuel economy?

That POS gets 22 MPG highway in factory tune.....much less boosted to 500HP
Old 11-09-2015, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO, the C4 is a very dated interior. Exterior I don't mind but the interior is "eh".

Depends on how far you want to push a C4. Motor+coil overs+315/335's you can have a splendid car lol

C5 = spend more up front to start out ahead and not mess with it much
C4 = spend less up front and put money into it to make it perform

spending $5K more for a C5 is most likely worth it. How much you think you can swap a LS into a C4? Motor alone will be $1000+ depending on mileage and condition.
Not to mention all the other crap you need to modify/buy to make it work. In the end I feel like you will be beat to hell and tired and ask yourself "I should have just paid the $5K more a while ago and I would have a car with a LS from the start."
Old 11-10-2015, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been asked twice about takeing the body off the frame. I have read 6 articles by hot Chevy vette mag and u tube videos. The c5 must have the body lifted in order to change an engine. That's the preferred way and the easy way to go. But you need a 2 post lift. Other wise you need to lift the car up about 2 1/2 feet remove most of the front under steering and everything you can think of and will take a few days. I am prepared for the worst when buying a used car. You can find low mileage cars look good and find out there gunned up on the inside. And you would be lucky to get6 months driving time on them. As far as my writing go between the big C and my meds morphine is my best friend I'm cloudy some days. So this is going to be my last ride. I'm an iron Indian fan,and 65 was my year of with tri power. And been lucky to own 3. Corvettes are French to me so if I sound like a nit wit I'm just trying to learn. Robert
Old 11-11-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Icuff4cash
I have been asked twice about takeing the body off the frame. I have read 6 articles by hot Chevy vette mag and u tube videos. The c5 must have the body lifted in order to change an engine. That's the preferred way and the easy way to go. But you need a 2 post lift. Other wise you need to lift the car up about 2 1/2 feet remove most of the front under steering and everything you can think of and will take a few days. I am prepared for the worst when buying a used car. You can find low mileage cars look good and find out there gunned up on the inside. And you would be lucky to get6 months driving time on them. As far as my writing go between the big C and my meds morphine is my best friend I'm cloudy some days. So this is going to be my last ride. I'm an iron Indian fan,and 65 was my year of with tri power. And been lucky to own 3. Corvettes are French to me so if I sound like a nit wit I'm just trying to learn. Robert
Just buy a C5 that has a good engine that's not smoking or making weird noises...a LS will last 200-300K if taken care of; it's not the 1960's anymore where swapping out engines left and right is common due to failure....99% of the people blowing engines are racing, modding, and adding A LOT more HP than stock. Your average Corvette owner that gets drives it only on nice weekends and drives 5 under the speed limit to go golfing is not likely to be beating the car senseless like a teenager who just got their license. I rarely see a Corvette being driven hard....Camaros, Mustangs, WRX, beat down Civics on the other hand....
Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Mitsubishi Evo engine swapped Corvette? Better fuel economy?

That POS gets 22 MPG highway in factory tune.....much less boosted to 500HP
Well you are not always in boost, nor do you always have to run it at 500hp, plus im sure gearing and tune have something to do with 22mpg as well as AWD in factory form.

I dont think its fair to say i'm completely crazy since no one actually knows what the outcome would be lol. I just think it would be fun

But you are right, most turbocharged dsm/mistu motors are not known for their MPG. After owning 2 I think this quote explains it well "dont ever mess with an upgraded DSM thats running right". They are one of the coolest cars when they work, but they hardly ever do.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Well you are not always in boost, nor do you always have to run it at 500hp, plus im sure gearing and tune have something to do with 22mpg as well as AWD in factory form.

I dont think its fair to say i'm completely crazy since no one actually knows what the outcome would be lol. I just think it would be fun

But you are right, most turbocharged dsm/mistu motors are not known for their MPG. After owning 2 I think this quote explains it well "dont ever mess with an upgraded DSM thats running right". They are one of the coolest cars when they work, but they hardly ever do.
All I'm saying is the 23 year old LT1 has both more HP/TQ and gets better gas mileage (25+ HWY) than a brand new 291HP Evo That tickles me!
Old 11-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Just buy a C5 that has a good engine that's not smoking or making weird noises...a LS will last 200-300K if taken care of; it's not the 1960's anymore where swapping out engines left and right is common due to failure....99% of the people blowing engines are racing, modding, and adding A LOT more HP than stock. Your average Corvette owner that gets drives it only on nice weekends and drives 5 under the speed limit to go golfing is not likely to be beating the car senseless like a teenager who just got their license. I rarely see a Corvette being driven hard....Camaros, Mustangs, WRX, beat down Civics on the other hand....
Woah, now wait just a minute mister.

The brochure and the dealer said it makes like at least 345hp at the wheels and can out run anything else out there. When you have such power, you don't even bother running it hard cause lets be serious, nothing else can keep up. Thankfully when you aren't in your vette, the provided vette jacket and hat will let everyone know how much of a bad *** you are and the essentially race car you drive.

/sarcasm.

******* vette owners.

Quick Reply: New corvette buyer