LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Running On 8 Cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 04:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running On 8 Cylinders?

I finally got the car started, but I'm have a hard time determining if it's running on all 8 cylinders.

This was the first start after the car has been sitting for 4 years. I changed the oil, new cap& rotor, and new spark plugs. I just want to make sure it's right before putting the turbo exhaust back in as I have to pull it to get to the plugs. Can anyone listen to this and determine that? I can get the cam specs if needed in the morning.

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
8 Cylinder_1452421488.mp3 (295.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Snorkelface; 01-10-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:51 PM
Launching!

The cam is an Ultradyne CHS290/290-14NR, 232/232@.050.

Could anyone give a listen to the attachment in the first message and give feedback? Or, is there some other way I can verify that all are firing?
Old 01-10-2016, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorkelface
The cam is an Ultradyne CHS290/290-14NR, 232/232@.050.

Could anyone give a listen to the attachment in the first message and give feedback? Or, is there some other way I can verify that all are firing?
Take an ir thermometer and measure the header temps at each cylinder ($15 at Harbor Frieght or Lowes). They should all be hot (200+°F). You'll want to do this anyway to adjust your individual fuel injector trims in the tune for idle and part throttle. You want them all to be as close as possible.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Ah, that's a great idea! I'll go pick one of those up. The headers getting warm in general world at least tell me whether it's firing.

Second question: Do I risk damaging anything by running just the headers while it's sitting and idling? I don't want to put all the turbo piping back in under the car until I know everything is working in the motor and I won't need to get to the plugs or plug wires again.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Ah, that's a great idea! I'll go pick one of those up. The headers getting warm in general world at least tell me whether it's firing.

Second question: Do I risk damaging anything by running just the headers while it's sitting and idling? I don't want to put all the turbo piping back in under the car until I know everything is working in the motor and I won't need to get to the plugs or plug wires again.
Long tube headers? Possibly. Usually it's not a problem, but depends on how good your tune is and if you keep it in open loop. It may run very very rich in closed loop.

Turbo manifolds? Yes. It can very well melt your valves.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:04 AM
Launching!

I have a turbo, but they're like mid length. It sounded like they were all firing, so I hooked up the piping. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Long tube headers? Possibly. Usually it's not a problem, but depends on how good your tune is and if you keep it in open loop. It may run very very rich in closed loop.

Turbo manifolds? Yes. It can very well melt your valves.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

I have a turbo, but they're like mid length. It sounded like they were all firing, so I hooked up the piping. Thanks for the info!
The answer I gave has to do with how the exhaust flows. Without a full exhaust behind the turbo manifolds the exhaust wont scavenge. That causes the hot air to linger. Long tubes don't have that issue because of how they flow (you can run these open with a proper tune and never harm the engine). Anything else needs at least the Y-Pipe.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Can anyone listen to this and determine that?
No, because of the cam that thing is basically firing cylinders at a time when idling. Bring the RPM up 1500 to 2000 and then try and listen. The other thing you can do is if you can get it to keep idling, pull one injector off at a time and see if the idle changes.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Arrange, thank you for the tips and the information guys!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
No, because of the cam that thing is basically firing cylinders at a time when idling. Bring the RPM up 1500 to 2000 and then try and listen. The other thing you can do is if you can get it to keep idling, pull one injector off at a time and see if the idle changes.

Quick Reply: Running On 8 Cylinders?