LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Alternator were routing

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator were routing

After finally getting the car running, it started dying shortly after startup. I found the new battery was very low on voltage.

The terminal labeled "batt" is routed to the positive power distribution block. I also have a ground wire going from a mounting bolt to the negative battery terminal. Is this right? Should I instead route the positive cable directly to the battery if possible?

Also, can I test the alternator with a volt meter by touching the positive lead to that "batt" terminal on the alternator and negative to a ground to check for 14V?

Last edited by Snorkelface; 01-11-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Launching!

So a update to this, a multimeter on the batt stud on the alternator, and it was putting out 14V, but it's not making it to the battery. Is it wired up wrong?

Originally Posted by Snorkelface
After finally getting the car running, it started dying shortly after startup. I found the new battery was very low on voltage.

The terminal labeled "batt" is routed to the positive power distribution block. I also have a ground wire going from a mounting bolt to the negative battery terminal. Is this right? Should I instead route the positive cable directly to the battery if possible?

Also, can I test the alternator with a volt meter by touching the positive lead to that "batt" terminal on the alternator and negative to a ground to check for 14V?
Old 01-11-2016, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So a update to this, a multimeter on the batt stud on the alternator, and it was putting out 14V, but it's not making it to the battery. Is it wired up wrong?
You have a break in the charging wire between the battery and alternator. Verify a good ground from the alternator case to the battery negative. Check for continuity between the battery terminal (not volatge) of the alternator and battery. Also check voltage at the signal wire that comes from the pcm to the bottom of the alternator.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Okay, I'll check how to check for continuity, and look for another spot to ground off of other than the grounding bolt.

Also, just to verify, when then car is running, I should see 14V at the positive battery terminal as well, correct?
Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I'll check how to check for continuity, and look for another spot to ground off of other than the grounding bolt.

Also, just to verify, when then car is running, I should see 14V at the positive battery terminal as well, correct?
Close to it. It should read higher than with the car off.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Your positive battery cable should go to 3 places, starter, alternator, red junction block.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Launching!

The connection from the alternator how mine is goes to the junction box. So, I should reroute that going directly to the positive terminal on the battery then?

Originally Posted by shbox
Your positive battery cable should go to 3 places, starter, alternator, red junction block.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The connection from the alternator how mine is goes to the junction box. So, I should reroute that going directly to the positive terminal on the battery then?
That's the way it came from the factory. Better to have it this way. Less connections.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if the shop changed that. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by shbox
That's the way it came from the factory. Better to have it this way. Less connections.

Last edited by Snorkelface; 01-13-2016 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Alternator were routing