LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

If someone could give me a quick yes or no on optispark

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If someone could give me a quick yes or no on optispark

1995 Trans-Am. Just replaced opti, water pump, plugs, wires. Has a Moroso cold air intake. I'm to the point of installing the air intake. Found the "fresh air vent" to my opti and I don't remember disconnecting. The air intake was on when I purchased the car 6 months ago. There is no hole anywhere in the intake so I'm wondering if it was ever hooked up?
I found this fitting under the throttle body and don't recall removing anything from it so I'm also wondering if I should plug it off?
Should I just drill a small hole through the rubber boot downstream of my MAD and plug in the fresh air tube?

Here's the end of my fresh air tube. Can't see any sign of where it went if any

And I found this which looks like nothing has been hooked to it. At least I have no parts left over and can't find a hose bent out of the way as if it had been disconnected.

Here's my Moroso intake. No holes anywhere for this small tube to plug into
Old 02-18-2016, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Oh and here is my mod for the weep hole delima

Dab of gorilla glue on the outside of tube.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoove
Should I just drill a small hole through the rubber boot downstream of my MAD and plug in the fresh air tube?
That's what I would do, yes. Poke a hole and plug it in.

And I found this which looks like nothing has been hooked to it. At least I have no parts left over and can't find a hose bent out of the way as if it had been disconnected.
If you didn't do it, then someone else has already done the bypass on the throttle body. Usually there are two coolant lines (one in, one out) that flow coolant through the throttle body. Just cap them off.

Oh and here is my mod for the weep hole delima
I did something similar on my old LT1s. It was worth it!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Thanks brutha for the quick response ! Moving forward
Old 02-18-2016, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

[/I]
Here are the complete instructions for connecting an MSD vented Optispark cap. I just did this in my Z71. The kit comes with a small section of hose with a T connector. All of these items you can find in a junk yard or at your local AutoZone. See images in figure 13 and 14.

http://www.msdignition.com/instructi...pdf?terms=8381
Old 02-18-2016, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info man! My manifold tube was there however my fresh air wasn't even connected. I made a place for it. Thx!

A drill bit a tad smaller and she fits like a glove!
Old 02-18-2016, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd also make sure the fresh air line goes to the back of the Opti and the vacuum pulls from the cap while you're at it.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Yeah my hoses are different sizes. The vacuum is larger so everything appears to be lined up. I just cranked and she fired right up, idled fine, no leaks. Was waiting for temp so the thermostat would open so I could vent it out the top bleeders but she heated up to the red. Now I'm scratching my head? Radiator full. Thermostat not opening? Extremely thin bead of rvt on thermo housing so know I didn't goop it up. Suggestions?
Old 02-18-2016, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE: Got it. It was my vent. I had to open the bleeder. The 2nd time I cranked I left cap off and opened bleeder and filled as it went down. All is well. Test drive went good. Back in business! Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Good improvising on the weep hole.

Been telling people to do that for years, but they act like you're asking them to create some tedious custom setup lol!
Old 02-18-2016, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Prototype007
Good improvising on the weep hole.

Been telling people to do that for years, but they act like you're asking them to create some tedious custom setup lol!
Thanks, nothing to it. Finding the tubing laying around took the longest then not bumping it while I installed everything until the gorilla glue set lol

Quick Reply: If someone could give me a quick yes or no on optispark