LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

insane vack firing out of nowhere

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insane vack firing out of nowhere

Lately I've been noticing a miss in my 96 trans am. So, with no obvious causes and a quick scan of the codes, a intermittent miss code, I began a bit of basic maintanance. After pulling and cleaning the plugs, checking all the wires (which were fine and intact), and giving everything a good once over i put it all back together; And now it has the meanest noise ive ever heard. Like a cross between a miss, a backfire, and a knock. It sounds like someone slamming a sledge hammer to the inside of the block. It is loud, deep, and shakes the car a little. If i hold the tach over 2k it seems to disappear, but as soon as i let off the gas, bam, another slam. The gnarliest back fire ive ever heard. Thought maybe clogged converters were a culprit, alas to no avail. The sound persists. It's late and I'm out of ideas, any suggestions would be very appreciated
Old 03-17-2016, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HomeSchool
Lately I've been noticing a miss in my 96 trans am. So, with no obvious causes and a quick scan of the codes, a intermittent miss code, I began a bit of basic maintanance. After pulling and cleaning the plugs, checking all the wires (which were fine and intact), and giving everything a good once over i put it all back together; And now it has the meanest noise ive ever heard. Like a cross between a miss, a backfire, and a knock. It sounds like someone slamming a sledge hammer to the inside of the block. It is loud, deep, and shakes the car a little. If i hold the tach over 2k it seems to disappear, but as soon as i let off the gas, bam, another slam. The gnarliest back fire ive ever heard. Thought maybe clogged converters were a culprit, alas to no avail. The sound persists. It's late and I'm out of ideas, any suggestions would be very appreciated
Mine did that same kind of sound when i had a vacuum leak, when i pushed the throttle fast and lifted gas fast it would sound like the intake would explode my leak was from pvc valve but when have you changed intake gaskets and is the rear intake gasket intact?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HomeSchool
Only time I ever had bad backfiring was due to a faulty optispark. Might want to check fuel pressure first though.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

right after checking the wires? i bet you crossed two of them, or maybe one was broken, and moving it pushed it over the edge.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The only time I had a backfire that bad I broke a rocker stud on the exhaust side and the exhaust was coming thru the intake causing a loud pop..
Old 03-18-2016, 06:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo_
right after checking the wires? i bet you crossed two of them, or maybe one was broken, and moving it pushed it over the edge.
I agree.

This is basic troubleshooting.....you had a minor problem, which you, of course, tried to track down. In doing so, you removed/replaced some items, and the problem worsened after you did this. This would indicate that whatever you touched/disturbed, is part of your initial problem.

Quick Reply: insane vack firing out of nowhere