LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

v6 to lt1 swap wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v6 to lt1 swap wiring question

a friend of mine bought a 96 z28 6spd for a couple grand just for the transmission for his chevelle and offered me anything else for next to nothing and am considering getting the engine for my 2002 firebird i've owned since 04. I know about what has to be swaped and ill look around for a low mileage 4l60/65e. My question is im assuming the wiring harness and computer for a manual car is different so can I use the trans part of the v6 harness and splice it on the lt1 manual harness and can I use any other year ecm besides 96-97?
Old 04-13-2016, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't just toss an LT1 into a 98-02 car, the body wiring is completely different. Your 2002 will communicate via serial for the gauges, ABS, and PCM. The LT1 PCM does not. The connectors on the shock tower for the engine harness are different, and most likely the other connectors under the dash. I'm not sure about yours, but the 99 I swapped had an electronic throttle, which includes an electronic gas pedal, which is incompatible. If you really want to put an LT1 in it, you need to swap EVERYTHING.

EDIT: There are more issues mechanically related (fuel lines, you'll need an LT1 K-member, etc) but wiring is the big one.

Last edited by Spartan7; 04-13-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have everything on the car to my disposal so fuel lines, k member, throttle pedal, cables not a problem. What if I got a 97 pcm? didn't 97's have the same setup as the 98-02's with the updated clusters and digital odometers? if needed couldn't a tuner guy flash the pcm to communicate if I mailed it? As for the different plug ends I see how that could be a nightmare but I have had experience changing complete harness plugs on wrecked vehicles.

If theres no way it will work I understand but I can have the engine and everything else I need from the Camaro for just a few hundred dollars plus its got headers, full flowmaster exhaust, and a k&n fipk but I would probably get an ls1 airlid to keep the newer airbox.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No, 97 is a "special" year. There is limited serial communication in the LT1 OBD2 cars. So yes, you'll need a 96-97 PCM and engine harness at the least.

If you're good with wiring and like a challenge, have at it. Get the diagrams for both vehicles and see how you can go about matching things up. I can tell you though, you WILL need to keep the 96 gauge cluster for everything to work. That is, unless you go 24x, which opens a whole new can of worms. I can also tell you that using the 96 cluster, your ABS light will no longer work. I looked into keeping the "newer" ABS module and it's just too much of a headache to do. If you're ditching ABS, then it's not a problem. I kept it, but swapped in all the LT1 stuff.

If you want the least amount of headaches, just put an LS1 in it. Or swap absolutely everything over and you won't have too many problems. Honestly, it's not worth the effort unless you're really attached to your 2002 and REALLY want an LT1 in it. I though it would be a nice challenge and a fun project, but there's no way I'd ever do it again.

Quick Reply: v6 to lt1 swap wiring question